1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raw Lead Price This Morning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cray, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cray

Cray Member

Raw lead price as of this morning is $00.805. Let's hope a bag of shot this winter will be back to $25.00. Cray

2. doc boc

doc boc Member

echo that doc

3. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

Not if it works like oil, it won't. Even though crude prices are down considerably, here in the Midwest we have seen gas prices go up $.40/gal in the past month.

4. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

I guess it depends where in the midwest. This past weekend I filled up for $3.28 a gallon in NW Indiana.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The days of $25/bag for new shot are gone fellas. it just ain't gonna happen again. Of course I'd love to be able to admit I was wrong though. Hold me to that...........

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

In June of 09 I paid $18/bag for West Coast Magnum shot and lead was at approx. $.75/ lb then. Maybe we will see $25/bag if it stays down a while. It looks like warehouses have historically high inventories which should play well for the price dropping further, I hope. Jim

7. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Perga,
    I need to understand how this might happen. At $.75 per pound, a 25 lb bag would cost $18.75 in just raw lead.

Regards,

Chip Porter

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

9. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I can't answer that. The prices quoted are spot market prices. I am told that long term purchases, I assume under contract, are lower. I just know I paid $18 in June of 09. It was the last lead I purchased until this year. Perhaps it was NOS. JRM

10. autogun

autogun Member

In May 09, the spot price of lead was hovering around 50 cents per pound. I have a price sheet from a gun club bulk buy from March 09 showing West coast at about 21$ per bag. And lead did go down a little more.
    Since raw lead has been going down, China is slowing, Europe's not out of the woods, I would not be rushing out to buy 30+$ lead.

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Chip....they make up for the loss in volume...

tony

12. Cray

Cray Member

Down to $00.7951. "Please Help Me I'm Falling"!!!! Cray

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Transferring burden is a standard business practice when volumes drop, it's the quickest and simplest way to maintain minimun operating income which equates to profits.

If you're in the business of reconfiguring lead through a manufacturing process and your volumes drop, the easiest way to cover costs and maintain operating income is a price increase; even if you loose a percentage of customers the remaining customers will carry the overhead burden at the new higer price.

Price increases are a double edge sword for a manufacturer as it's easy to hit the price wall and drive themselves out of a market; the easy solution to remain competitive is to seek lower cost offshore manufacturing, sound familiar???

Raw materials are only one aspect of finished goods cost, which equates to the price you and I pay

Surfer

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

When companies know the need for an item and people will pay whatever the going price of that item is , rarely will the price drop to what you all think it SHOULD be . Prove me wrong !!! I need lead as bad as every one else . I`m out

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In the mid to late 70's shot was about $10.00 per bag. It then went up to $25.00 per bag. In time it went back down to $11 to 12 per bag.

In time it will drop but give it time.

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

i doubt it. in the 70's, a coke cost 10 cents, a snickers 10 cents, a gallon of gas 40 cents, a bag of shot 10 bucks. today, a coke costs 75 cents, a snickers a buck, a gallon of gas 3 bucks, a bag of shot 40 bucks. relative to the cost of everything else, i'd say the cost of shot today is pretty evenly priced. 4 other quick points: 1)most of the lead in the world is in china and the rumor of a civil war in china is being floated on the internet. 2)the mines control the cost of lead: when prices drop, they slow down or stop production. 3)how much lead goes into a mri lab? i have four within 2 miles of me. that's a lot of lead. 4)iran is going nuclear. going nuclear takes a lot of lead and there isn't any in iran. n korean plutonium, chinese lead. $39.99 shot is a buy price! oh, 1 more point: my cell phone runs about 500 bucks and the annual service about another 1500. i'd have to shoot in excess of 384 ounces of lead per week in order to equal my cell phone expenditures. it's all relative, isn't it? i wonder what a lincoln cost in the 70's?

17. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

1974 Ford Gran Torino, Automatic Trans, PS, PB, Air, $3200.00. in 74 dollars
    Try that now.

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

When the prices came back down in the days gone by their wasn't a type of downturn in the economy such as this one. Difference is now a president is hell bent on destorying this country. Young people depend on mom and dad. Mom and Dad are always looking for ways thru Gov. finiancile cheap loans to keep the kids floating. Kid that want to work can't find jobs. And a hole bunch of other shit that wasn't going on then. Its going to be up to the manufactures and business people to get the young people out to support this sport. Ole Dad can't do it any more and so goes the sport. Wild bill

19. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

20. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.