1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the strength of Rio primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe blow, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

Just started using Rio primers. Where do they fit in as to strength?

Joe Lohr

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Loading data suggests they are similar to the Fed 209A. The 209 (Afterburner) is HOT, usually considered the hottest available primer.

However, you will find that a primer does not always fit in the groove.

With some otherwise identical loads, the Fed 209A generates more pressure than, say the Win 209

With some otherwise identical loads, the Win 209 generates more pressure than the Fed 209A.

Unless your data is down in the pressure column, use published data.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

generally, hot. fed 209A hot.

no problems other than oversizing the primer pockets.

4. Shooting Coach

I prefer the Rio primer. They fit everything. So what if it enlarges the pocket?

I am not going to pay the going price for Remmy, Winnie or Federal

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

$105/5000 rio's=.021
    $135/5000 Win209=.027

yep, real savings there, .....

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...especially if you're among the thrifty reloaders who discover that their guns punch holes in Rio primer cups and burn up the tips off the firing pins!

Keller

7. Unknown1

8. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I have shot ~30,000 RIO primers and have not had one punch through. Must be I have been lucky.

9. Unknown1

It's not an issue in all guns or in all guns of the same make/model; nor is it an issue with every batch of primers.

I actually think that it's a bigger problem for people that use PW and Spolar loaders than for the guys that use Mecs. The Mecs support the base wad around the primer cavity to keep the hull base from deflecting upward as the over-size primer is forced in. PWs don't have that feature so the primers don't always seat completely. If primers stand even a few thousandths proud of the hull base the chances seem greater that some of them will punch through. I eventually took to pre-priming hulls in an old Lee Load-All to get them seated better but even then some of them punched.

There were no savings in the time spent prepriming and the time/money spent removing/polishing/buying/replacing firing pins.

Sample reloads started testing all over the map re: pressure and velocity and the lab told me that Rio had changed the primers without notice so I gave up on the idea of finding cheaper alternatives and went back to buying known products.

Keller

10. Shooting Coach

Having once performed warranty service and repair for Browning, the firing pins cost about $12 ea. It takes me longer to remove and replace the stock than to replace the firing pins, when needed.

When I shot Federal primers, firing pins needed to be changed about every year.

I have not had to replace firing pins with any more frequency using Rio primers than with Federals on my Brownings. I use a MEC 9000GN press, have tried and sold most other presses, won't use anything else. Unlike most presses, which are converted centerfire presses, the MEC is made to load a shotshell.

I am very satisfied with RIO's performance. ZERO misfires, ZERO issues, from weather too cold to shoot in, to weather too hot to shoot in.

When I run low, I will buy more RIO primers.

11. Unknown1

What can I say, Coach?

The gods just seem to favor special people like you!

Keller

12. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I bought 25,000 Rio Primers from J&S for $18.00/thousand and would do it again in a minute. But I think there sold out.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have loaded over 70,000 Rio Primers shot them I Caesar Guerini, Browning, Kreighoff K-80s, KX-5s, Blasers, and Silver Seitz and never ever punched through them, and never ever a miss fire yet, they are larger than Rem, and Win Primers, but that is all I load, so what. They are close to Win 209s and hotter than a Rem STS primer, not as hot as a Federal 209A.

Which makes this primer perfect for me, it ignites fast burning and slow burning powders equally as well.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Like someone mentioned about different guns piercing primers and others have no problem. These 4 shells were pierced out of 25 last Thurs. night, they were shot in my MX-14 my MX-2000 will also do the same. The MX-15 and TM-1 have no problem with Rios.
    toolmaker251_2008_0303137.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rio pierced primers

rio primers eating firing pins on blasers