1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rat Terrier/Cattle Dog.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gotbass, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotbass

gotbass Member

Shootlow - I hope you aren't still getting my wife's family's junk mail. Happy New Year. Her brother had one of those and it was a terrific dog. I just rescued a West Highland Terrier and any dog you rescue is a great dog and you will have a even more special friend as a result. Go for it. Mike Ralston

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

shootlow:

When I was growing up, my folks had horses and several rat terriers. When we cleaned straw bedding out of the barns during the winter, it was common to dig up mouse nest or two per stall. The dogs were intense mousers.

The best would often pounce on a nest and hold one mouse down with a foot while he crunched another in his mouth. More than once I saw him with mice under both front feet and one in his mouth.

Rat terriers are small, good in the house, and good around kids. I don't think they're herding dogs.

Adopting rescue animals is a righteous thing to do.

sissy

3. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

This is Daisy. She is a little over one year old and has really turned out to be a good dog, very agile and very smart. The other night at the park, my wife heard what she described as a horrible squealing sound and thought Daisy was hurt. She ran to the dog and found that little Daisy had a rabbit on its' back. She had to pull the dog off the rabbit. Neil
    [​IMG]

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Hope she made it home with you, looking forward to seeing pictures. She may turn out to be the pied-piper of rats, imagine using her catching and herding instincts. I actually had a fox terrier when I was a kid that was quite good at herding cattle.

Robert

5. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Don't know much about cattle dogs, but I have 2 Rat Terriers now. I can tell you that you don't own a rat Terrier, they own you. I swear they know what your thinking. Smart, loyal, and hardy dogs, tough as nails for the size. Mine can spring, from a rest up onto the dining room table if he wants to, with ease. Great lap dogs on cold winter days. Nothing gets past their hearing either.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with Jim M., they will act different once they are away from that environment and know they are home. The ones I've adopted from shelters did. Jim, you should adopt both the sisters!!

Hap

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Shootlow, you should get a St.Bernard. If you had one you could throw a saddle on it and ride it uptown.

Shootlow, I've known you for a lot of years and you've never had a pet of any kind.

Just be sure you know what you are doing.

They do take up a lot of your time and attention.

Or better yet, you could get a cat like Tron has.

Or a pet snake. Lots of people have them and I think they only eat one rat every now and then.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Hauxfan!

8. TF

TF Active Member

I rescued a female rattie from the shelter three years ago and she's been a wonderful compananion and house guard. I had to get used to the fact that these dogs haven't got an "off" switch and are constantly on the go. (My previous dog was a lab-corgi mix who reached 17 yrs. old) Certainly one of the most intellegent and loyal dogs I've ever had. She will chase anything that runs from her; squirrels, cats, mice, moles, rabbits, but is uninterested in anything that doesn't run; she's friends with the yard cat who bassically ignores her. Doesn't care one bit for strangers who come calling however. I would reccomend this breed or a mix to anyone who is a dog person.

Tom Frazer

9. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Very territorial and very protective. Ours rides to work with my wife every day (in the front with her own high seat). They are great little dogs. No one will ring the door bell before you know they are there. Get them both. You will enjoy them.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

BARKS you need a wife first then a dog

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Shootlow...I admire you for thinking of rescuing the dogs so even if you decide not to its still a great thought. Glad to see that you are still hanging aroud the site.

Bill

P.S.......I only believe half of what Hauxfan says. lol

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

likes to shoot, you know it's all true!!!

Hauxfan!

13. andybull

andybull Active Member

We own a Jack Russell Shorty that is now a house dog, I never had a dog sleep on our bed before.

[​IMG]

14. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I would take both of them, they don't eat much and they'll entertain each other. Neil

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Shootlow, Take your time where you've not had dogs before. Having said that, I would not split them, two dogs are no more work than one- just double the feed, but they are three times the pleasure. They are good company for each other when they do have to be left alone. Good luck to you and the dogs, Bob

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You should have gotten a Cat. You will regret it.

17. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I got a cat yesterday,big yellow male tabby.1 CB-long in the left ear did the trick.Cat was lunching down on a sparrow under my bird feeder.Bagged it and sent it away on the BIG green truck today...KS-OKIE.

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You are a Troll.

19. gotbass

gotbass Member

Jim - You'll wonder what you ever did without her. Get her micro-chipped and then let's see some pictures. Mike

20. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jim:Don`t get me wrong,I`m actually a cat person.We have always kept ours inside and never just turned them loose on the neighborhood.Our property backs up to a city park that is used as a unwanted pet dumping ground.Last summer I bought a have-a-heart trap.The first time I caught a cat I released them.The second time (4) they were "relocated" to the parking lot at the plant 11 miles away.Haven`t seen them again.Have shot 4 so far and they still keep coming.Hey Tron I`m not a troll,I`ve actually been on this forum muck longer than you.Jim I know you will have a new pet well trained in no time..enjoy...John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

using rat terriers for herding livestock