1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rare snow day for me......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Took me four hours to get the company truck deiced, unstuck, and put chains on it. My town has declared chains mandatory for travel, no exceptions. We've never had that before. Snow locked it in, higher than the tires all the way around. This is an all wheel drive Chevy Astro van. It does real well with the special studless snow tires, but I can't get any grip because I'm high centering. The front bumper is plowing snow. The boss told me not to take risks driving for routine work. Hopefully an emergency won't come up.<br>
    <br>
    I-84 is closed from East Portland all the way to Hood River. That's about 60 miles. I-5 is being closed periodically. Most of the roads to the coast are closed. Stranded vehicles and semi-trucks are everywhere.<br>
    <br>
    The snow is so deep I finally got to try my snow shoes. Have not done that in the valley for a couple decades (though I've used them for coyote hunting).<br>
    <br>
    We have dozens (literally) of bird feeders. Almost all of them are snowed or iced up. So we've been dumping birdseed on the walkway by the front door and in the flower baskets under the front window and on the wall. We have so many birds you simply cannot count them. Suet and peanut butter blocks are disappearing at a rate we've never seen before. One of the bird feeders has a foot of snow stacked up on top of it. Looks like Marge Simpson's hair.<br>
    <br>
    We have a two foot stone wall in the backyard, and a waterfall for our koi pond. It's all buried. The backyard is totally flat, and the snow is 18" over the top of the stone wall. That means the lower yard is three and a half feet deep.<br>
    <br>
    We've been pretty much snowed in since Saturday morning, and it ain't gunna get much better for a while. Yeah, I can get out with my Land Cruiser, which is chained up. I have super heavy duty chains on it because of the large tires. It's like driving a Sherman tank. But it works.<br>
    <br>
    For those who have driving by the Flying J truck stop on I-84 in Troutdale, they had a semi-truck crash right in their truck stop because of slick conditions. The Buger King there has snow drifts up onto the roof, and the all glass atrium is buried.<br>
    <br>
    The last three stations of the light rail where I live are closed. Chained up buses are stalled out. There is no way to get on public transportation out here.<br>
    <br>
    We've got a third place record snow here, and at the rate it's going we'll easily make number two, so we'll beat the winter of 1969, but not be quite as bad as the winter of 1968. At my house it's 22 degrees and still snowing.<br>
    <br>
    River traffic has just been shut down on the Columbia River near Portland because the I-5 lift spans are frozen solid and cannot be lifted for barges.<br>
    <br>
    One of the sheriffs on the coast just sent a long rant to the media here bitching about all the money spent on beautification but nothing spent on making sure emergency responders can get out on highway 26 because the state cannot fund enough snow plows. They've got a lot of people trapped in their homes, and some without heat and with their homes breached by fallen trees.<br>
    <br>
    As I type this the Mayor of my town has just declared a state of emergency. He wants plows so emergency crews can get out. Yeah, good luck with that. The mayor says that 50% of the city cannot be gotten to at all by fire, police, medical or utility crews. Some paramedics are having to hoof their equipment long distances from their vehicles, and that's slowing down response times. Some equipment is down because chains got thrown and tore the brake lines.<br>
    <br>
    Most flights have been canceled and Amtrak stopped running yesterday, but they are running again today with lengthy delays. One Amtrak got stuck here for four hours because of frozen switches on the Steel Bridge just short of the station.<br>
    <br>
    Well, I'm sitting back, having some hot chocolate, trying to warm up after being outside for hours in the balmy 24 degree weather with heavy winds and blowing snow for hours. I've been outside for hours in colder weather while hunting, but we don't hunt in heavy winds, and that's the difference. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get an emergency callout myself. I've driven in some of the worst conditions in Oregon over the years, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

This Global Warming must be stopped!!! I hope our new admin takes the Global Warming issue seriously before we all freeze to death.

HBT

TIC for the less quick readers.

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Brian, we've got more than 15" of snow on the ground here in the Detroit area.

Not a snow blower at Home Depot (closest one is in Toledo). I'm waiting on a delivery tomorrow AM at Lowes for a new one for me. My little 21" two-cycle MTD just isn't going to cut it the rest of the winter. Ten inches just overwhelms it.

The cities, counties, etc., are all clearing snow on straight time, and using less salt than in prior years.

Best,
    Dennis

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

And I thought Vermont was bad...

Good luck!
    Bruce

5. starship

starship TS Member

Live on the east side of Portland. About 1 mi from where evertthing is closed down in Troutdale. Lots of East (read COLD) wind blowing down the gorge. Besides all the snow we had freezing rain last night. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice on everything and then more snow. Still snowing lightly and rumor is that it might quit by tomorrow but temps will stay down around freezing (or lower) until at least the weekend.

The dickens to shovel. Snow, layer of ice, then more snow.

I agree with Brian ..... WHAT A MESS!!!!

6. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

All of a sudden this Ohio weather don't seem so bad. LOL

It got up to 13 this afternoon and still windy (-20 wind chill)

Be safe up there and stay warm

Dick The Shooter

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Aw cheer up fellas at least you will have a White Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone

Bob Lawless

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Brian....... How do you think this will effect the Icecicle shoot in Hood River over New Years? I'm planning on coming up I-5 from California and the cut across at 84 to Hood River. It doesn't sound too promising on getting through if it keeps this up...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Reading this I'm in total shock!!!!! Brian in Oregon driving a Chevy Astro van???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.