1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rare S&W ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I came across a Model 36, J frame, 38 special, 2 inch barrel, 4 digit serial number no letter, and heres the odd part it's a 5 screw. It's the first one I've seen, anyone know something about this model? HMB

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I used to be a S&W collector.<br>
    <br>
    Yes, you bet your revolver would have collector interest, especially if it is in fine condition.<br>
    <br>
    Production started on Oct 24, 1950 at serial number 1.<br>
    <br>
    No records exist for an exact year by year breakdown. But it is known that the the square butt version was introduced at serail number 21,342 on Oct 14, 1952.<br>
    <br>
    Because of the dates and serial number span, your gun is either a first year or second year production model. If it was is closer to the 1000 serial range, it's probably a first year. If it's closer to the 9000 range, it could be a second year. Anything in between would make for some serious discussion amongst collectors. If we do a little math, 24,342 guns divided by 24 months of production is roughly 890 made per month. That would mean that it would take roughly ten months to cover the under 10,000 serial range span. You could take your gun's serial number, then divide it by 890, to get a ROUGH idea of how many months passed since production began, then start at October 1950 and figure it out from there to get a ROUGH idea of the month and year it was made. And I caution that this is rough, because there can be wide variations in production numbers. Some models might not be made for a while, then that model might consume most of the production facilities for a while.<br>
    <br>
    As for it being a 5-screw model, yes, it would be with that serial number. The 5th screw, the large one on the side plate, which is known as the "bug screw" (don't ask me why) was phased out starting Dec 13, 1955 in the 75,000 range.<br>
    <br>
    If you can post pictures, I'd like to see your gun.

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Do you want to sell it?

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

HMB I will bet you cannot find a model 36 on the gun either. S&W did not start with the Model 36 designation until 1957. Before that it was just called a 38 Chiefs Special. Collectors will call it a "pre model 36". According to what I can find serial number 7369 was the start of 1952 production and 1952 ended beyond 4 digits so your Chiefs Special was made between Oct 1950 and sometime in early 1952.

--- Chip King ---

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll admit I don't know a lot about this gun, but.......what is a "5 screw"?

I just checked mine and the serial number is in the 8000 range.

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The new model guns are 3 screw. That means 3 screws holding the side plate to the frame. There are also 4 screw and 5 screw models. The 5 screw has 4 screws holding the side plate on and a 5th screw in front of the trigger guard which holds a return spring for the trigger mechanism in place. HMB

7. Hauxfan

Thanks, HMB. I checked mine and all I can see is two screws holding the side plate. One under the cylinder and one right behind the trigger.

Just like on I see on this one. Mine has a much smaller grip.

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yours is a 3 screw, one screw is hidden by the grip. Not interested in selling. HMB

9. Hauxfan

Thanks, HMB. I wondered about that.

I'm now a little bit smarter than I was this morning. lol

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.