1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rare Pair. 1897 16ga BlackDiamond Trap Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ithaca$$$Grade, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

Here is a couple interesting 1897 Black Diamond Trap Guns I've picked up over the last couple years. They were made a couple years apart. Both are 28" Full choke, rolled rib barrels, Black Diamond Tournament Grade guns. They are both all original and will stay that way. They're only original once. One is a semi-pistol grip stock and the other is a straight/english stock, original butt plates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

Jim W

2. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

NICE, ARE THEY FOR SALE?

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Very rare original 97s. Beem collecting 97 traps for a long time but have not had the opportunity to purchase 16 gauge traps in original condition.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Nice Jim. Must've been used by market hunters by the looks of the amount of use they got.

5. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Wow, would have loved to have seen and held those 97s when they rolled out of the factory. Yes, keep them just as they are.

6. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Man, couldn't those old boys tell some stories? Thanks for posting, Jimmy.

7. Ithaca$$$Grade

Hitapair, either lots of critters/birds or a bunch of clay targets/pigeons. I don't have any history on the pistol grip one but I'm trying to get some background on the straight stock one. I do know it belonged to a 101 year old gentleman who gave it to his son who is 79. I'll let you know what I find out.

I've had the pistol grip one for a couple years and even shot a round of trap with it. Didn't hit 'em all but the ones I did were just soot. Good chokes in those guns even back then.

Jim W

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good job with the photography - obviously shotguns aren't your only hobby.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Great presentation. Love them old 1897's. Thanks for sharing.

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I bought a sraight grip black diamond trap many years ago that had mainly been used as a duck gun, and it looked like it. I think it also might have been used as an oar on the old guys boat at one time.

11. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Jim:

Wow, I have a thing for 97s,these are really neat. I know yours are not for sale,but what do you think they are worth? I am looking for a 97 trap and trying to figure out a fair price both for original condition and restored.

Jim

12. EEB

EEB Member

Those guns deserved to be restored. Their current condition does not do them justice. JMHO

13. Ithaca$$$Grade

Hey guy's, thanks for the nice comments.

I have no idea what they would/should sell for. I've got a call into a Winchester collector that does know the market and the collector value of guns like these. He has seen one of them, he hadn't laid his eyes on one before I showed him mine, so he should have a pretty good idea. I did let a restoration company look one of them over a few years ago and they gave me a price of $2500.00 to make them look like new. It would be a shame to have someone do that and get something back you're not happy with. And once thats done, its over with.

As far as the wear on them, I can't imagine someone would pick a 16 gauge to market hunt with or even duck hunt with. When these were made, with the options that are on them, most people back then either didn't have the extra money for the upgrades, didn't want them, or wouldn't have looked in the Winchester catalog to order the upgrades. I'm hoping that Annie Oakley used one of them in her show. She was known to use 16 gauge guns for the lighter recoil. Wouldn't that be something.

Have a good one.

Jim W

14. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

Cowboy action guys love these guns. Rick Stover from Cowboy Way and I have redone a lot of these at a lot less the 2500.00, even with new wood. We have done them in high gloss and satin blue and satin hard chrome with action jobs a lot cheaper then that. Some are on the web site if you want to look.
    D and B metalfinishing.com

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
winchester 1897 16ga trap

winchester 97 black diamond trap

winchester black diamond trap
winchester model 1897 black diamond tournament gun