1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rare model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dbcook, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

on gunbroker there is a 16 gauge model 12 marked skeet with the super rare ws-2 choke. this is one very rare gun #149397414. dwain

2. tburrey

tburrey Member

Your correct on that gun being very rare. I have a 16 gauge field model 12 with the rare ws2 choke. Have only seen one other 20 gauge model 12 with the WS2 choke. Tom

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Looks like they dug it out of a swamp.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Needs both pieces of wood and a complete rebluing. I wonder what Jaquas told him (the seller's origin is Findlay, OH).

ss

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I once met a Mopar freak with a mint turquoise 1976 Dodge Aspen convertible show car.

Very rare.

Incredibly embarrassing, mind you -- but very rare.

-Gary

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Gary,

Is that anything like owning a low mileage mint Rampage? I saw this on a tv show a little while back.

ss

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I own a 16 gauge skeet ( marked skeet on bottom of receiver)-- mine has a polychoke

16 gauge skeet guns were meant for smaller framed men and women- or young people

There were a bunch of Winchester records lost or destroyed and no one knows how many were actually made.

The 28 gauge skeet is amoung the rarest model 12s but I am not sure that if all the records were in the 16 gauge skeet wouldnt be right up there

wood is cracked on this one and a lot of pits- I dont agree with the seller that this would be worth 3000-4000 if restored- that is BS- but it would be worth more than it is now- maybe 1500 with a nice restore job- problem is- you might spend 1500 to do that ( repair wood- fix metal (deepen worn stampings) quality refinis-- at least 1500-maybe 2000)

So if you pay 1000 for it and then add 1500-2000- that is 2500-3000 dollars to end up with a gun worth 1500 - that doesnt compute

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Maybe the funnier part of the story is that my girlfriend at the time said, "You're gonna love this guy when you meet him -- he's a car guy and an absolute Mopar FREAK!" I asked her, "What kind of Mopar does he have?" She said, "I don't know but it's rare and valuable and his whole life revolves around that show car." Intrigued, I asked, "Could it be an old Hemi Cuda?" She said, "YES -- I think that's it!!!" Imagine my reaction after meeting him, when the garage door went up and he said, "CHECK THIS BAD BOY OUT!!!"

For the record, it actually IS possible to laugh so hard that you p!ss yourself.

-Gary

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Gary,

ROTFLMFAO! That's one of the best stories I've heard in a long while. By chance did he own a leisure suit to match?

ss

10. g7777777

Gary of course the real question is- did you marry her?

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

SS: I'm not sure if he owned a leisure suit, but he did proudly keep his glistening white vinyl interior in spiffy shape!

Gene: No, I'm afraid our relationship was destined to fail after the infamous "Fruity Cuda" incident.

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i agree with gary on one thing.most mopar freaks are incredibly embarassing. dwain

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A cousin of mine has an original WS2 choked 16 ga. My dad had one when I was a kid and oh how I begged to own it. He had boughten it strictly for resale and though he bought many guns including MD12's for me, this one I did not get. It has bothered me through the years and I have a self imposed agenda that should I ever find one so marked, I would buy it. The one he had sported a duck bill rib. Now inlooking at the price of this one versus condition, I will keep looking. The sellers freckled disclosure looks alot like etching in places. With good MD12 wood fetching what it does, it will take alot of dollars to bring this one around. Also due to the outside appearance, I really would be conserned with internal barrel and receiver.

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster, don't worry too much a 16 gauge with duckbill rib. The 16 gauge was never made with a duckbill rib. The gun was not original and worth nothing to a collector. The gun being discussed isn't worth anything either unless is is in high original condition. No amount of repair, replacement of parts, or refinishing can "bring a Model 12 around" to where it is of interest to a collector.

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

eigthbore, but what if. What if that was a 16 with a duckbill? The one thing about a MD12 is it had be had any darn way you desired. Someone could have sent in a plain or even a solid and had Win. rerib it which they would do. What if?

16. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Collectors use years of experience to separate "what ifs" from "put togethers" and "never was's".

17. g7777777

The seller posts here and sells stuff -- he was the one with that engraved model 31--

I think he buys and sells

18. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Here's a nice 28 gauge M12 Skeet with a Cutts Comp on it. The Cutts
    is an addon, but the rest is original. It is a great shooter, second in fun
    only to a Model 42.....

[​IMG]

Hope the pic shows up OK, I'm not used to putting images in a TS.COM entry... Anyhow, it is pretty. Don't have much idea what it is worth these days, I bought it a number of years ago and paid less than 2 grand for it. Fellow I bought it from said that it didn't work and he couldn't find anyone locally who could fix it. Took a few minutes to realize that someone had put the magazine tube back on, rotated 180 degrees from where it belonged. Fed shells much better then.....

Adamsribs

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

eightbore, after you've been in the Model 12 market awhile and discuss what has been around and has been verified of manufactures existence you'll learn about authentic items that were not known to exist. Since your evidently getting into the Model 12 realm, agood source of info can be found through Bedlands in Nebraska. He has items that only one or very few were ever made.

20. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Never say never when it comes to Winchesters or Brownings. The custom shop did many strange things. WS-2 is much rarer on 12 , 20, and 28 gauge guns. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are model 12 supergrades rare

price of a 1961 winchester model 12 with buffolo etching on receiver