1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RARE Colt Python Twins

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by InsureGuy, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Good Evening,

Today I stumbled upon something that few people ever do and I thought that I would share it with you. Because of the site cops like Barry Roach I was not sure what category to put this in, but here it is.

The pictures below are of 2 early 80's Colt Pythons (38 Specials) that have NEVER been taken out of the package. Purchased new and NEVER handled. The owner has all sales receipts and is looking to possibly sell them in the near future. If your interested, PM me so I can keep track of an interest list. Value has yet to be determined but the owner has an idea what he wants from them. Sold as a pair or individually they are beautiful guns.

Remember, leave your comments below, but if you care to share what you would pay, simply do that in a PM.

Jason
    insureguy_2008_030320.jpg

insureguy_2008_030321.jpg

insureguy_2008_030322.jpg

insureguy_2008_030323.jpg

insureguy_2008_030324.jpg

2. ky4some

ky4some Member

Beautiful guns! I also thought all Pythons were .357 magnum. I think the Diamondback was the .38 special. If those revolvers were really never out of that plastic wrapping I wonder if the plastic has affected the finish. I've seen that happen once the wrapping is removed. I bet these sell for a small fortune.

Mike Kamer

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rare find.

If they were kept in the boxes with plastic wrappings since the '80s, I sincerely hope it was packed correctly at the time.

4. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

I too share you concern about the plastic. The location of storage was ideal and the plastic was loose enough to be moved but still tightly wrapped. These are indeed beautiful guns and I hope to help him sell them. He has a couple of other items ;-) that I will let you in on shortly. He's actually handling this very well. He realizes that if he doesn't sell them soon their value won't be realized unless he sells them prior to his "departure". The obvious concern is that the spouse or kids would just sell them at something less than they are worth.

The other items are just as cool and even more rare. I hope he allows me to photograph just one of them to show you. Keep your powder dry.......

Jason

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

A friend of mine in Texas had a matching set of 8-inch barreled 38 Special Colt Pythons. The barrels and cylinders were set to only shoot full wadcutters seated flush. He used the Pythons for PPC competition.

So there were a few Pythons in 38 Special.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've seen two .38 Special Pythons in the last three decades. Both blue. One was a 6". I don't remember if the other was 4" or 6".

I have a .38 Diamondback. First handgun I had, given as a high school graduation present. Most disappointing gun I've ever owned. I've had the guts replaced three times, and the last "gunsmith" butchered the gun.

7. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Python targets were 38's and were marked as such. I've only ever handled 1.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Very nice find. Those are a Colt collectors dream.

ss

9. Reinz

Reinz Member

Very nice,

Thanks for sharing!

10. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Would you take 1500.00 each ? My friend is very interested ...Thx Mister1245@aol.com

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Can't imagine owning a pair of handguns like this and never shooting them - kind of a sad story really because that is where the true value lies.

Given the rarity of the chambering and the NIB conditon, I would expect the pair to bring around $5K. But I am by no means an expert on Python values. Any chance the SNs are consecutive?

12. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

The owner has already been offered $3100.00 for the pair. He's also monitoring this thread. If you have any questions, please IM me.

Jason

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Are those fraternal twins? That's a lucky find for someone. Thanks for the pics. Good luck.

14. dmccorki

dmccorki Member

PM sent

15. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Good Evening Gents,

There have been a few questions and lots of PM's on these guns. First, yes they are 8 in barrels. The actual Model number for both is below. I have also included a partial serial number for both.

Nickel:

The side of the box say: Model I3683 Serial # VA458* 38 Special 8'Nickel.

Blue:

The side of the box says: Model I3882 Serial # K0200* 38 Special 8' Blue.

Now on the Blued gun, I wont say, but that serial number is VERY low.

I was told this evening that less than 250 of the Nickel guns in 38 Special were made. I am trusting that you guys on this site will know that for sure. If I am incorrect its not by design, just going off what was told to me. Having less than 250 of something is rare indeed, but to find one NIB is like hitting the little lotto.

As far as pictures without the plastic, the owner is reluctant to take them out just yet. If/When he decides that he's received the best offer he will of course allow as many pictures as you want. The highest offer that has been PM'ed is $3500.00 for the pair.

Jason

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Jason, current Blue Book is $1980 blue and $2870 nickel. Total $4950 for the pair. Consider that the Blue Book is a Guide. Jeff

17. bob62864

bob62864 TS Member

ha ha...if you read the colt forum web site, you will read that the python and diamondback market has been infiltrated by less than honest characters.......I would have a high degree of skepticism on the actual facts of the orginal condition.......those boxes have been re produced by a gentleman in tennessee

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"He who knows the price of too much knows the value of too little."

19. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

You might want to try the Colt Collectors forum, I would bet they would bring more than $5,000 there.

Oscar

20. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

In everything there are doubters. While I appreciate the concern the regarding originality of these boxes, you can also be assured that these guns, and boxes will be subject to a 3 day no-fire inspection.

I guess you would have to know the owner to understand why I am certain of the originality of these guns. The boxes, receipts and the aging of these items are hard to replicate. This gentleman still has his first .22 that was given to him by his father in 1945. It's a JC Higgans .22 that looks as good as the day he got it. No, this guy is the real deal.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.