1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rapid City Blizzard

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Our own Whiz White is probably snowbound. Looks pretty bad on the news. I talked to a good friend in Sioux Falls and they have very little. I bet it is playing havoc on hunters trying to get across HWY 90?? The wind blows across 90 all the way from Sioux Falls to Rapid so ????

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Bruce Bowen isn't far from the weather action too!

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It was a helluva blizzard; wind gusts clocked by Nat'l Weather Service of 78mph.

I got 13" here at the house and shop. Heavy stuff. For some unknown reason my street, a dead-end up in the pine trees gets plowed every time... someone on this street of 11 homes must be a politician.

Schools were closed Thursday and Friday. I don't ever remember a two-day closing for a long time.

The problem was not the depth, but the winds caused tremendous drifts. It was 45ยบ today so much has melted. I suspect that by mid-week next week it will all be gone. Sure glad I mowed Wednesday morning. I'd bet the trap club had 6'-10' drifts out there (12 miles SE).

It sure is pretty here today.

Interstate 90 was closed from the Wyoming line to Mitchell, SD (300 miles).

Bowen is 28 miles West of me in Sturgis SD-they got hit hard too. I heard that 3' fell at the ski slopes near Lead/Deadwood, and 20' high drifts down on the Reservation, SE from here.

The wind normally blows from the North West to the South East (Rapid City to Sioux Falls). That's why Ellsworth AFB has the B1-B's stationed here... the wind and normally about 360 good flying days a year.

We're all back to normal; most of us, as I did see some Power & Light Company's 6x6's with chains heading up my road towards Nemo towing poles.

Whiz

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

glad you are ok whiz

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Whiz,

I am the guy that called you last week when you had no power at the shop. We left Hulett, WY area just in time on Wed. mid morning. We headed across I90 and had heavy wind, rain, and snow from Rapid to Chamberlin. Arrived at Mitchell to sunny blue skies and 63 degrees. People in Indiana think the weather changes fast but your region has that beat. I am sorry we could not hook up and meet. I would like to call you sometime on my dime for some local information I need.

Bryan Griffith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.