1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranger XLW with Rx insert

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Here's what I don't understand. Shooting glasses typically are made with wide lenses that sit high, because when we mount our gun we lower our head and turn it slightly to place our master eye over the barrel. Look at every ad in every shooting magazine that displays someone shooting and you will see this. Then the shooting glasses companies create their RX insert systems that are far smaller than the primary lense. I bought one of these systems and it was a waste of money. I shoot with a relatively straight mount, but I was still looking through the left edge of the RX lenses. What is the point of large or wrap lenses if the RX insert is so much smaller? In every system of this kind I've looked at they are.

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Ranger glasses with RX inserts but have the NYX Sports version with the RX insert. The insert is small but sits close to the eye so I am looking through the RX portion at all angles. The larger lenses have the RX correction in a small area so when someone looks through another area there may be less or no correction. I prefer the NYX Sports over the glasses with large interchangeable lenses with the correction in them.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

ou3200 is exactly right. I have been using the NYX insert for 5 years. I have a small bifocal lens that never gets in the way and the outer lens is a wraparound syyle so you don't need blinders either.

4. steve coker

steve coker Member

I have the same glasses with insert.......absolutely love mine. I don't even realize that I am looking thru a insert. Like so many trapshooters,if they think that it will cause a problem then it will with some because they are thinking about it and not concentrating on the target........ah ah......then come the misses and they blame it on the glasses.

Best investment I have made in this expensive sport

5. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

I just recently purchased these and initially wa pleased with them. However, just yesterday, while shooting a "big 50" event at our local club,the inserts fogged up in the upper inside corners and no amount of shaking and waving them in the air would clear them. Admittedly, the temperature and humidity were very high, but this is a serious problem, aalthough it may not occur often.It was so bad that I found myself shooting where I "thought' the bird would be every time it flew through the fogged up spot.For the second 25, retrieved my old ess glasses and ran them, but the fogged lenses cost me at least four birds on the first 25.When it came time to shoot singles, I stuck with the ESS's and posted a 49/50. I am going to be VERY careful about when and where I use the Ranger XLW rx insert lenses again. I am considering discussing with my optician the possibility of fitting disposable contacts and stick with the plano lenses. I like thE fit of the XLW but this was a very frustrating experience with a rather expensive pair of glasses.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I still like this concept so I just ordered Ranger XLW's, an RX insert, and several sets of lenses from Wayne Morgan. I hope this system is as well thought out as advertised because it has the potential to make RX changes quite reasonable in cost.
    Turtle, wouldn't some anti-fog spray on the lenses stop that? I have never needed any but I think I remember it being talked about on this forum.

7. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Last year I got my set (frame, insert, CMT ColorMag -for bright days & Copper polarized lenses- for overcast days). Great lenses specially the CMT which make orangr targets stand out. Never had a problem with them.

8. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

wireguy

I used an anti-fog wipe on both the insert and the plano lens before we started shooting but they fogged anyway.I am sure this was due to the high heat/humidity, but that doesn't make the situation any better.Trapshooting is hard enough without this added impediment.You should have bought mine---I've only had them about a month. hehe On another note, I do like the CMT lenses. They make the targets glow on a sunny day. Brighter than anything I have ever seen.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That must habe been some heat and humidity. I probably would have collapsed LOL. I bought both the CMT and the copper polarised. What does the rest of the background look like with the CMT? I have this one color now, it is a dark olive green, never seen anything else like it. It makes blue sky nearly dissapear, dark green turn black, reflective green fluoresce, and makes white and red targets fluoresce. Awsome for bright days.

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, I spent some money and bought the XLW with Rx insert. I got 5 colors including clear. I'm favorably impressed. I think for the vast majority of people this would make a great setup, especially when it's time to change the Rx lenses. The Rx lenses are quite a bit larger than the ones Sun Buster sets you up with. That makes a huge difference. I haven't shot in them yet but will this weekend, and will report back. One thing I can say is that I am seeing way into that 3rd dimension of depth again. I got the CMT and copper polarised lenses too. The CMT work as advertised, it will be interesting to see how they do on orange birds. The copper polarised are very restful and enhance orange dramatically too. I went with Wayne Morgan in New York. He was a pleasure to work with and very fast delivery.

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I shot with with them Fri and Sat night. I wasn't terribly impressed Fri night but thought some adjustment (one of the nice features of this unit) on the nosepiece to raise the frames might help. After doing that Sat morning I was very impressed using them Sat night. I had a nice un-cluttered view without framing visible peripherally, at least not enough to make me feel like it was in my way. I'm happy so far. I will say the 2 screws that hold the two-piece nosepiece and Rx insert clamp together are tiny, like maybe 3/56, and once removed are a pain to get started straight again. Don't remove them unless you must. Of course me being me I had to see how the whole thing went together. I think for most people this would make a great setup and save a lot of money over buying individual Rx lenses. My previous experience with Ranger frames is that they are VERY well made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
forum xlw inser rx
how to use ranger xlw insert
ranger shooting glass inserts

ranger xlw prescription inserts

ranger xlw rx insert
ranger xlw tavsiye