1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranger XLW with Rx insert -feedback

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike G, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G

Mike G Member

Are these the real deal or gimmick? Sounds very cost effective and too good to be true. Looking for anyone to share real experiences, info or testimonials on this system.

Mike

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Had a pair and down the road they went. They are a curved lens and with the insert they distort somewhat. They are also heavy with insert.

3. grl

grl Member

I love mine! I really don't notice the weight. It's great to have only one rx and be able to change colors. Just make sure the rx lenses are ground properly, since you probably tend to look through the top portion of the glasses when shooting. If they are ground with the center of focus like regular glasses you might get that distortion.

Guy

4. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I had somewhat the same as Goose2, I didn't have distortion but after a while the felt pretty heavy. Rick

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

You start sweating and they will slide down your nose. It seemed like I was always pushing them up. Not a good choice for me.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I've never been bothered by the weight but they do tend to slide down. I think my temples might be too long. They certainly aren't as visually clean as RX lenses but they are a whole lot better than no RX at all. If you don't have the money to be constantly buying RX lenses they are a good deal.

7. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

My buddy has a set and he does not like them. He is going back to regular shooting glasses.

8. mike2010

mike2010 TS Member

I've had mine now for over a year and I love mine,I had Morgan Optical make mine to the specs that my regular eye doctor used to make my regular glasses and I love them. I sweat bad and I don't have any trouble with mine sliding down and I don;t think there any heavier than other prescription glasses,and they are less expensive than others for the multi color lenses. Mike

9. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I have a moderately strong perscription (-4x) so the Ranger lens were huge and heavy. they kept sliding down and would stay up only by curving the legs around my ears really tightly which caused other problems. For me, these were a waste of $$$...

Now I use the Rudy Project Rydon with an rx insert. Amazingly light and compact. Three lens colors, case, rx adapter and rx lenses were about $250. These work for me and have improved my shooting.

10. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

SilverShooter, do you have any contact info for the Rudy Project Rydon glasses?

Charlie

11. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Charlie: there store web site is www.e-rudy.com , hope this helps ya Rick

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Ranger XLW but bought the Rudy Project Rydons. The Rydon system, while probably great for other sports proved to be a problem for me with shotgun mounted. My vision was obstructed by the edge "wire frame" of the rather small RX insert. In order to fit an insert to the Rydon frame the manufacturer made the bridge too wide for my shooting style, making it impossible to focus correctly through the lense. I strongly suggest you find a local retailer and request they allow you to try them on with stock mounted.

Robert

13. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Mine are for sale.

6 7/8 hat size and they wouldn't stay on my face regardless of what tried.

Oakley is the way to go and their Asian fit are designed for folks with large heads.

14. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Mine are for sale.

6 7/8 hat size and they wouldn't stay on my face regardless of what tried.

Oakley is the way to go and their Asian fit are designed for folks with large heads.

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I've been using the NYX glasses with the Sved Optic prescription insert for
    about 7 years. I have 10 different lenses that cost about $20 apiece. The frame is about $20. The insert with a bifocal was $170. I have been pleased with them.
    They are light, wrap around to some degree, and the inserts are rimless. The insert and the lens are both polycarbonate, so it's all the protection you'd ever need. The insert is relatively small and sits close to the eye, so you don't need to worry about what part of the lens you're looking through.
    They make several different models, some more suited to smaller shooters. Mine are the Carbon frames, the first style they came out with. I shoot trap and
    sporting clays with them. One of the lens is a dark amber polaroid which is
    good for driving and shooting. I also use medium vermillion, dark purple, medium orange, medium purple, and clear lens at night or in a restaurant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.