1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranger XL owners

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by guinner16, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

This is a questions for all the Ranger XL users. What size lenses did you buy? I spoke to morgan optical and didnt get a 100% clear answer, which is not their fault. They basicallt said either the 66mm lense and the 68 mm lense would work fine. I am about 5'10" 230lbs, and have about an average size head. So is there any downsize to get eaither of these lenses. Let me know which size lense you went with and whether you consider yourself a bigger guy or small or guy. Is it one of those bigger is always better things, or could do myself a disfavor by buying a lense that is too big. thanks for the replies.

note: I dont have any places nearby to get fitted for these glasses.

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Hi there, I am the same size as you and I went with the 68mm. I like the bigger lenses as does everyone of my buddies at the club. If I am not mistaking the 66mm is for smaller sized people like women and children. I hope I answered your question and good luck.

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I believe mine are the 68mm as well. However, the guy you need to call is Tom at Texas Shooter's Optical: 713-927-4790. He is one of the best in the business. When I called him, he not only spent half an hour on the phone answering all my questions, he also offered to send me two pairs of glasses so, I could decide which I liked better. He just said to send the one back I didn't like.

That's quality service.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have the 66mm lenses, and the seem fine for me. I am slightly bigger in height and width, but they are plenty wide enough that I do not see the rims. I feel you allow a little more venting with the smaller lens, especially if you wear blinders. Jon

5. creek

creek Member

I bought the 68mm set; I wish they were a might smaller like the 66mm. If they are large enough to touch your cheeks they will fog up more easily in the summer heat.

I think having a smaller lens would provide for better ventilation, thus reducing fogging.

John

6. johnboy

johnboy Member

66mm, wear size 7 3/8 fitted cap.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

68mm vs. 66mm is width of the lenses... fogging is a ventilation issue - easily fixed by wearing them a touch further from your face if you happen to get overheated... RECOMMENDATION, go bigger - better protect the orbit of your eye balls... they're the only ones you've got!

There are two cable temple lengths 150 & 160mm... you're a big guy... go big, easier to adjust to tighten... can't make more temple grow... lastly, not a fan of the skull temples on these glasses...

BTW... I'm similar size

Jay

8. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I think I might go with the 66mm. Fogging will be a concern for me since I always wear all of my sunglasses smashed right up against my face. After all the difference is 2 millimeters total, or 1 mm on each side. Thats less than the thickness of a dime on each side of the lense. Not seeing the frame and no fogging are my biggest concerns, and it sounds like I wont see the frame on the 66mm. As for the cable length I went to a glasses store last night and tried on a pair of glasses with 150mm length, and they seemed long enough. The worker there seemed to think 160 would be way too long.

I havent seen too many people respond with the length they ordered. Did anybody order the 160mm and find it way too long? thanks again for the help.

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Did you call Tom?

10. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I feel bad about wasting Toms time when I am not going to be getting the glasses from him. My insurance is paying for two sets of Ranger XL's with prescriptions and its only costing me $20/pair. In order to do this I have to use a Dr. who participates in my plan. I called that Dr but he admitted he wasnt an expert on sizing a person up for glasses on the phone.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I also have the 160mm temples and am finding they do slid down slightly on my nose, after shooting. Because of the flexable ear wire I would go with the 150mm, if I had to do it over again. You have to make sure they do not add to much pressure behind the ear though, as it gets sore if there is to much pressure. Jon

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If fogging is a bigger priority than covering the orbit... why not buy the Edge?!

Lenses are specifically designed to offer more ventilation... the lens size is spec'd at 67mm and includes the adjustable nose bridge as well...

The other variable nobody has previously mentioned is that if you buy Rx lenses, the impact resistance of CR39 plastic is terrible compared to Polycarb, unless you're actually considering Trivex... maybe speak with Morgan again and inquire about using the "Sporter" for the embedded Rx lens and use the "clip in" plano polycarb for impact resistance and color enhancement

Jay

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I understand what you're saying. Maybe Tom will take your insurance? It was just a thought and I didn't know you needed prescription glasses.

14. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

68 mm, 160 m temples, and I'm not very big.

I had the 150 temples and they drove me crazy, way too tight. I now use the longer temple

You have to have a very small head, or your ears right next to your eyes, for 150 temples to be comfortable LOL

15. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

went with the 68mm/160mm for myself and 66/150mm for my wife. This way I will get to try on both sizes and see exactly which one will be the better fit. January first our benefits renew so I can get another 2 lenses for free. If the 68's are too big then I will order the 66's next time. At this point I cant really complain getting two pair of rangers for $50. Especially since I was ready to layout $400 of my own money before I checked our eye plan. thank for everybodies input.

16. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

I'm 6'2" 280 lbs. I use the 68/160. I have a HUGE head and they work fine.

Chris.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where to buy ranger xl 66mm lenes