1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranger Sporter Rx Frames & Clip-ons?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cunninmp, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hi Everyone, Well I'm ready to get some decent shooting glasses after having my eyes checked. Was going to go with Ranger XLW's but my eyes need to much correction to use them. After talking with Tom at Texas Optical, my other option would be the Ranger Sporter Rx in clear for my Rx and then the clip-ons for three different colors. Was going to get Med Yellow, Vermillion, and Deep Purple. I have the early start of cataracts so will probably need a new Rx every 1 1/2 years.
    My eyes are -5.0 in one and -6.0 in the other. This is a heavy amount of correction which means a fairly heavy primary lenses.
    So my question is--have any of you used this combination and what do you think of it? Is the added weight a real bother or is target acquisition worth it?
    Thanks for any help you might be able to shed on my problem.
    Mike Cunningham
    ATA Life Vet
    Groveland, CA

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I used a set of Ranger Sporter with clip ons, my base lens was a bifocal with anti-glare, the clip on colors I use are med yello, vermillion & CMT.
    I used Morgan Optical. Wayne sent me acouple of try lens to compensate for my complaints about seeing the target. He explained to me ,you sometimes need a little bit weaker script for shooting at distance.

Just had lasik, all I had to do was remove the base lens and I still have a god set of shooting glasses.

Has anyone out there had any experience with Dr. Rively's special lens ? It sounds like it performs very close to CMT

I can vouch for Morgan Optical. There service & help is second to none.

Phil Berkowitz

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Phil,

Thanks so much for the advise.

Mike C.

Groveland, CA

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Morgan Optical is my go to for shooting glasses. Wayne is very helpful and will do everything possible to make your experience a pleasant one. Since you are a long time eyeglass wearer the added weight of a clip on should not be a problem. Before having lasik, I too used the Ranger Sporter with clip ons. Check the lense section at Morgan opticals website, they have and excellent chart regarding the choice of lense color.

Robert

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I have been using the exact set up as 635 G for the past three years. I have been very pleased with them & am about to send my frames to Wayne to get new prescription lens put in to match my vision change.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What Wayne @ Morgan Optical did for me was the following, after I complained about my script, he sent me two lens. One was marked "A" & the other was "B". He told me to get about 3o yds behind my car. Hold each lens over my scripts & see which one worked best. Big difference from original script.

Also very important, make sure you have your PD (pupil distance) on your script.
    Good shooting

Phil Berkowitz

7. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Phil, Robert, and Hunter,
    Thanks so very much for the replies. You've really helped me make

a decision. What I'll do is get the frames and clip-on's and then

have have my optician here in Groveland make up the Rx portion.

She has my PD and RX info plus she wants me to bring in my trap

gun so she can see where I'm actually looking out of the lenses.

Then she'll have the lab grind the sweet spot in the right place.

Phil, how do you like your CMT lenses??? All I've heard is they

work really well for some and just so-so for others depending on

individual color perception. Guess that's why I thought about the

dark purple for bright sunny days. Med yellow for under the lights and

vermillion for shooting at home club that has alot of tree's and

hillside in the background. Kingsburg, Newman, and Stockton have pretty

much sky background when the bird is up.

Can't thank you all enough. This getting older crap (66) sometimes

sucks.

Mike Cunningham ATA Vet

Groveland, CA 20 miles from the Yosemite NP north gate on Hiway 120.

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Good Luck Mike! I also have the CMT lens & I have used them some & they work very well for me.......however with my vision I find myself using the vermillion in nearly all conditions, even under the lights at night. It really helps me pick the bird up quickly. The yellow lens just brightens everything for me, & doesn't make the bird stand out like the vermillion.

Wayne put progressive bifocals in my shooting lens so now I can see the close up things very clearly also......works great for me!

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

CMT is a great lens in bright sun. The targets literally appear to glow. Anything that is red or orange is extremely enhanced.
    However; if a cloud momentarily obscures the sun, it is like someone turning the lights off.
    If you use CMT's & there is a chance of clouds drifting by, have your vermillion lens read to clip on,

Phil Berkowitz

10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Everyone's eyes are different. I bought a set of RX CMT last year but they did not filter glare enough for my eyes in the bright sun. I need polarized lens for that condition.

Last Thursday I shot sporting clays in an open field with an overcast sky. It was not real dark but the clouds were thick enough to hide the sun. I tried the CMT lens and found them to function extremely well.

There is also a person in England that reports that he uses CMT lens under all daylight conditions.

11. JRW

JRW Member

I also use Morgan Optical, and the sporters with clip ons work great for me. Jerry in MI.

12. radeck

radeck Member

Another vote for Morgan Optical. I bought CMTs, but I must be one of those fellas that always knows where to find them. In my shooting bag! LOL. I guess I just like my other colors more.

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Thanks for all the great answers and recommendations!
    Appears Morgan Optical get's a number one vote.
    This is a great site!!!!!

Mike Cunningham

14. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Another vote for Sporter Rx frames and Morgan Optical. I have light orange, vermilion, dark purple and CMT clipons. Use the purple and orange most.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Tom,
    Great photo!!! Looks like I'll go with the Pewter.
    Shows the clip-on method real well.
    Thanks,
    Mike Cunningham

16. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

You're welcome, Mike. Morgan Optical emailed these photos when I first inquired. I like the pewter, too.

One nice feature no one has mentioned about the Rx Sporters is that the nose piece adjusts easily up and down, so these frames can also serve for every day use.

17. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Mike, one further note: If your are color challenged "red-green deficient" the only colored lense that will help with orange targets is vermillion. Also, consider asking your Optometrist about IZON lenses for the clear portion, just had some made for driving and wow what a difference, especially at night. Visit IZons website to learn more.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
randolph ranger filters

ranger rx sporter shooting glasses

ranger shooting glasses xlw vs sporter

ranger sporter clip

ranger sporter clip reviews

ranger sporter frame

ranger sporter rx clip-on

re ranger sporter randolph