1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ranger CMT question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dkarre, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkarre

dkarre TS Member

I have a set of ranger XL's and have been considering about getting a set of CMT lenses for them but dont know if they are worth the money. Im looking for input from those that use/used them.

Merry Christmas everybody

Derek

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There made for bright sunny days with no chance of clouds coming by.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sparta, Illinois, Mid August.....

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

i HAVE THEM, WHAT TOOLMAKER SAYS
    GB
    DLS

5. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

My go to lenses on bright sunny days. Yeah, I would buy another set.

6. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Can you wear sunglasses to shoot? Some can; I can't. They transmit only 18% of available light, exactly like a good pair of sunglasses. It's more difficult to focus in low light conditions. Not impossible, just more difficult. I wear the lightest shade of my color of choice, even on the brightest days. When I wear CMT's and hold my head perfectly still, everything is sharply focused. When I move my head to follow the target, my vision swims. Some like them. Many hate them. Better try a pair before buying.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

What color are CMT's and are they the coated yellow lenses. I use purple on bright sunny days.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As was said, try a pair first in multiple conditions... the CMT amplifies red under variable conditions - best under bright sun, but it does work under partly cloudy days for me as well..

I'd say many like them, and some find they don't help them much... hate is a strong characterization... I've never found anyone who actually hates the CMT lens.

If you use an Rx set-up, CMT are a mixed bag... borrow a pair and shoot with them as long as you can borrow them, then decide...

Jay

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I liked my CMT lenses on bright sunny days. They made an orange target look the size of a pumpkin but let me tell you, if a cloud come over they are useless to say the least. I have since switched to autumn gold transitions and they are great in all conditions. I really like them a lot. You may want to take a good look at them before you go with the CMT.

10. dkarre

dkarre TS Member

Goose2, are the autumn gold lenses a randolph lens? I cant find it on my lens card or their website

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I hate CMT lenses. I tried on a pair of planos and was impressed with what they did to higfhlight red. I didn't shoot with them, but they were quite unlike any other lens I've looked through. So I spent $190 for a pair of prescription lenses....other colors are $90. After trying them in various situations, I threw them away. They were worse than useless to me.

I also "hate" porting. I won't hijack the thread to tell you how many hundreds of $$$ I spent on those worse-than-useless holes. I sold them all to someone who can appreciate them.

A fool and his money are soon parted. This fool doesn't like to be constantly reminded of his foolish mistakes. A few of them were buried in the backyard on a moonless night so no one will ever know.

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Wayne @ Morgan Optical told me that he recommends Autumn Gold for field hunting not for trap shooting.

I have a set of CMT lenses--must use on bright cloudless days only.

Phil Berkowitz

13. morgan1

morgan1 Member

Bright sun NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO clouds

14. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Wife and I both have them, good only in bright clear skies. Would not purchase again. We both seldom use ours. Our two basic colors are light yellow and light purple, I think vermilion (sp)is what their called. The Ranger Sporter with the clip on colored lens is the way to go for Rx lens, you only purchase one set of Rx. Hope this helps. Jake

15. open choke

open choke TS Member

I have a ranger xlw vermillion lens that I would like to trade for a different color or sell if anyone is interested.

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have Ranger XLW with the CMT lens. Yes they work great on bright days but I fine them just as good on cloudy days. Evey one see colors different. So this is something you need to try out your self.
    I do agree in the fall the CMT lens pick up the color leaves in the back round. This make it the wrong lens for that season for me.
    You couldn't ask for a better lens in the winter snow back round shooting.

17. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I use them often, even in partly sunny or snow background. I like how the orange pops compared to background. On dark days I switch to lighter colored. I do recommend them

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have five sets of lenses and one of which is cmt but couldn't tell which one they are. Thanks Jake and hope everything is well in J'ville. Merry Christmas. Jackie B.

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

OK...

Since I've never met Mike Campbell, I will stand by my previous statement, but I will modify my comment to now say I know "of" someone who really hates the CMT lens...

For my guys... I keep a demo set at the range with nearly all the stock colors, except for gray and clear... I also have the Hi-Contrast Brown Polarized that Wayne Morgan does up special...

If you happen to be in the Chi-Metro area and have 68s, I'd be happy to lend you a pair of CMTs for a few shooting days to try them under various conditions... I'm in Naperville IL.

Best regards,

Jay

20. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I also was told by Wayne at Morganoptical not to use autumn gold fot trap so I checked around and with other folkes suggesting they work great I decided to order a set in RX and couldn't be happier. I love them for trap in all conditions. Not mention I saved $ 90.00 buying them from someone else.
    Good luck with your decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.