1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rangefinder help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chadshot, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Looking to buy a rangefinder, any suggestions?? I am looking at couple of Nikon and Leupold 1000. Thanks

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I also use Swarovski but I have it because it is the only one with optics as good as a good binox and it can range low reflective targets out to 500 yards easily. I need this because I do lots of prairie dog shooting at extended ranges. I also have a Lieca and it is not adequate for long range shooting with small non-reflective targets. The Swarovski is far to expensive for normal big game hunting if you are willing to carry binoculars along with the range finder. As with all things you pretty much get what you pay for.

jim brown

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Chad,

I cannot disagree with fred or jim, the Swarovski is for the most part unbeatable, although the price can be somewhat prohibitive. One good thing about the Swarovski is that you can mount it to a tripod and keeping the rangefinder completely still is a big part of being able to range a non-reflective target way out there.

I don't have a Swarovski, but I opted for the Leica CRF 1200, because I bowhunt also and wanted something a little lighter for hunting situations, and both are waterproof (or at least somewhat waterproof). It too is highly accurate but it must be held still when ranging way out there. FYI, the last time I looked, the Leupold and the Nikon were made in China, if that has any bearing. I had a Nikon 1200, and I could never range with it passed 800 yards. Could have just been the unit I had.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

John E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.