1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Randoplh XL or XLW?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Huntin'Fool, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I just wanted to see thoughts on the Randolph shooting glasses with the XL or the XLW pros and cons.

thanks

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

0   0   0

I liked both with a few reservations the 68mm 160 XLs nose piece intruded more in my vision but were the only ones at the time that fit my fat head. The XLWs I use now fit great and the nose piece seems to intrude less in my vision. The bayonet ear pieces on the XLW are much more comfortable on my ears than the cable types that were on my XLs. Both have coated lenses which will scratch or peel if you don't take care of them but the lenses are fairly cheap. Snapping a lens in place on the XLWs can be a pita sometimes until you get the hang of it. The lenses on the XLW seem to be tougher and shed water better than I remember on the XLs and Classics. A real plus if you wear prescription lenses is the prescription lens holder for the XLWs so you only need 1 set of prescription lenses cut not one set with every tint you use for the XLs and classic. The only sorta issue I have with the XLWs is that in hot weather the bayonet earpieces will let them slide forward under recoil so you need to do the geek thing. Take a shot, push your glasses back, take another shot,push your glasses back again.

--- Chip King ---

3. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

0   0   0

I've had same issue with slipping, solved by putting rubber sleeves over them, you can get them from any sun-glass dealer who stocks them as replacement items. Bruce

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I have had them both and I like the XL much better. I had to add the correction lens to the XLW and it made them heavier than I wanted. It seemed they were always riding down my nose in the summer. The XLW was distorted with the correction insert and the curve of them. Just could not get used to them and my scores started to get better when I got the XL.

5. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

0   0   0

I also own both. I have prescription lenses in my XLs, which is (in my opinion)better than the prescriptive insert that is offered for the XLW.

I purchased mine from Dr. Frank Rively. He is definitely inclined to steer you away fron the inserts offered for the XLW. His opinion is that, whenever you have "double" lenses, there is the possibility of glare - actually between the two lenses, depending upon lighting conditions and sun angle.

As for comfort, I think both styles are great. The XLW may appear a bit more "stylish", but this game is about breaking targets...........

6. Huntin'Fool

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

i dont have to worry about corrective lens

7. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

0   0   0

Between that new K80 and those fancy glasses you should be on your way to the grand. Glasses are such a personal preference otter... Go with the ones that fit you the best and are comfortable. It's pretty simple. Like the guy said above it's about breaking targets.

8. johnboy

johnboy Member

0   0   0

I agree with pretty much everything said about the XLWs and will add fogging on very high humidity days. I guess this is due to the wrap around lenses. Never had that problem with the Decots. It was the style that lead me to purchasing the glasses. I would not recommend them.

9. Duck

Duck Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have the XLW with the prescription insert with six different lense shades.
    There are certain days where I catch some minor distortion or refraction?, most likely what K80433SC mentioned but I can honestly say it has never cost me a target. With my RX changing every two years the insert is what sold me
    on the XLW.

10. Huntin'Fool

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

i ended up with the XL's

everyone thank you for your imput

11. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

0   0   0

Did you get that K80 tatoo yet?

Thread Status: