1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Randolph Ranger XLW with RX Lens Inserts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I have Decot HyWyd glasses that I have used for 12 years. Now I have a new and very different perscription so I have a decision to make. Do I buy new RX lens for my Decot frame or change frames?

The Ranger XLW look very interesting wth the RX insert that sits between the colored lens and your eye. If I had that system now, I would only need to purchase one replacement lens not seperate ones for each color. However, the insert in the XLW looks small behind the larger colored lens and I wonder if anyone has had problems with that system or others like it?

Thanks for your comments. Jim

2. eperry

eperry Member

I used to shoot the nyx system which is the same insert idea, it was a problem with fogging between the lens and insert, the optical quality is not as good, lokking through 2 layers. I also always seem to have a bug or fly that flying in my face and sometimes it woud get stuck between the two lenses.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jim, I recently had to have new frames and lens for shooting also. I thought about the same thing as you. Buying one set of prescription lens and use different plano colors. I decided against it for the reasons (eperry) mentioned above after discussing it with my eye Dr. I bought the Ranger XL with 3 sets of prescription lens.

Hap

4. himejim

himejim Member

Thanks for the comments.

Jim Miller, do you use the panther with the inserts? If so what do you like or dislike about them? Thanks. Jim

5. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I posted a response to you question last night. For whatever reason, it is gone now.

I own 2 set of XLW glasses and like them very much. I later had to add prescription lenses to them and was quite disappointed. Functionally, they were fine but the weight on my nose was too much. The prescription lenses are installed using a full metal frame and it is heavy. I tried using different lense material (CR39 & Poly Carb) but that did not help. I finally gave up and went to Oakleys with inserts. On the Oakleys, the prescription lenses are mounted to the nose piece without a frame.

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

randolph ranger xlw

randolph ranger xlw lenses

ranger xlw and prescription insert

ranger xlw and prescription insert reviews