1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Randolph Ranger "CMT"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chuckles, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckles

chuckles Member

Randolph Ranger

Does anyone here have any experience they can relate to the RE "CMT" lenses...?

regards and thanks

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Randolph Ranger

In my experience, CMT lenses work great in bright light, but are too dark for most conditions. In addition, my clipon CMT's lenses faded VERY quickly, and lost their effectiveness.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Randolph Ranger

Being a bit red/green deficient, the CMT works quite well for me in partly-sunny or better conditions particularly with all-orange targets, against a variety of backgrounds - the CMT also amplifies the "red" found in all other objects - so if a gal has red tints in her hair, that can jump out at you, signage, clothing, exit signs, brown items... and the list goes on.

I have not found the CMT to fade or lose its amplifying ability, but I have spoken to many folks who have had issues with CMT applied to Rx lenses.

At $80+ try a set in varying light conditions before committing.

Jay

4. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Randolph Ranger

I bought them and wish I wouldn't have. I had to have the next "great" thing as seen in all the magazine ads. I am still waiting to see if they work in really bright conditions on a snow covered background. I bought them after having trouble in a winter day league where it always seemed too bright for my yellow or amber lens. I do love the Randolph Ranger system.
    Doug

5. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Randolph Ranger

Dear Chuckles and other good shooters....
    The early CMT lenses had a very short shelf life and were replaced free of charge by Ranger. In my opinion, the new CMT's are a little too dark, unless your range conditions are very bright light. Here in the East US, mother sun does not favor shooters and the humidity levels make for reduced visibilty on most days. The CMT color was developed, for Air/Sea rescue according to info received by this writer. Try them first before you buy if you can. They are not inexpensive. They do work, but when to use them is the key to better shooting.
    Respectfully,
    Jet Boat Bill

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Randolph Ranger

I, too, was advised by a supplier not to get them, for the fact that I have red/green color deficiency.

I went with vermillion, since vermillion does help with red/green color deficiency.

I do have purple also, which does help on clear days.

Dennis

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Randolph Ranger

I am very satisfied with my CMT Rx lenses, makes the orange targets stand out.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Randolph Ranger

At least they are a lot cheaper for something of questionable value than Hidefspex. That was one of my biggest wastes.

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Randolph Ranger

I had a pair of CMT lenses made several years ago. The eye md failed to tell me that Randolph recommended never having over +2.0 correction. I had a +5.0. They never worked, I complained to Morgan Optical, they were unhappy anyone would grind lenses for a CMT +5.0 correction. They recommended CMT clipons for perscription lenses. They worked fine and the entire setup was almost free. Not great in low light but shooting for 40 yr.s and yet to find 1 color fits all. Morgan a great source

10. dfrank7262

dfrank7262 TS Member

Randolph Ranger

I've had my CMT lenses since the first came out, and I LOVE them. I use them about 99% of the time when I'm shooting. About the only time I change is when it's really dark out (shooting at night) or just one of those really dark days. I even use them on cloudy days with no problems.

11. chuckles

chuckles Member

Randolph Ranger

Thanks everyone for all the great info..

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.