1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RANDOLPH ENGINEERING GLASSES INFORMATION PLEASE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap2, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for some new shooting glasses. I've had Decots for more years than I can count. Unfortunately, every time my Rx changes, and that seems to be pretty regular the older I get, I need new lenses. It's $100.00 a pop, and I usually buy 4 sets in various colors. I'm fascinated by the Rx insert of the Rangers and would like to know from those of you that use them, what your feelings are about them. I know the initial price is expensive, but, I like the idea of only having to change the Rx in the regular clear lenses, and being able to utilize the colored lenses without having to replace them all the time. Are they comfortable? Does the added weight of the insert bother you? General comments would be appreciated... Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. steve coker

steve coker Member

Dan, I have a pair of the Ranger XLW w/inserts, one ot the best investments I have made in the sport of Trapshooting, although I have had a slight problem with them fogging up on hot humid days. I, like you seem to need prescription changes quite reguarly as I get older and this is a way to cut cost. They take a little getting use to and you do notice the extra weight, but after you use them a few times you won't even notice. I think you will be very pleased with them.......Steve

3. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

Hello Dan,

I too just switched from Decots to Randolph Rangers. Because I have an odd prescription (near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other) my one lens tends to get very thick. Also, I should mention that I am unable to wear contacts. Due to these issues, it was recommended that I avoid the inserts. I provide this info in the event you may have a similar problem. It could have been recified with lenses that are specially ground to my Rx with less mass, but at a sharp premium in price, so high that it negated the cost effectiveness of the insert system. Other issues that concerned me were fogging and overall comfort with essentially two pair of lenses. I would think that the system would comfortably fit some faces well and others might have numerous problems. I would talk to an eye doctor that shoots if possible. Therein may lie the most reliable advice.

My Rx changes almost yearly and it becomes quite a cost burden to keep lenses in the colors I shoot. Dr. Frank Rively was extremely helpful in recommending the best solution for me, unfortunately it did not include the cost savings that the inserts would provide. On the other hand, I have been able to get into some custom colors that Decot did not offer. The "Optimizer" is a great lens color that is working wonders for me. I always wore "lite-medium target sun" (purple) and never though an orange colored lens would work for me. I was very wrong. This optimizer color makes the target glow without washing out the entire background. Bottom line I find the Randolph frames slightly more comfortable than the Decots. Both are terrific products and I interchange between frames for now, until I own a full complement of colors in one system or the other.

Play Dead

4. th445

th445 TS Member

Check out their web site. Google Randolph Engineering they give all kinds of information on their shooting glasses.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses to my question. I have decided to stay with Decots. They have served me well for many years, so, I think I will continue with them. I ordered a set of the new "Revel" frames and a few Rx lenses and should be good to go for another couple years.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

optimizer color lenses for shooting glasses

optimizer shooting glasses lense