1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RANDOLPH "CMT" LENSES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WWB, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

I assume that these CMT lenses are like the Hi Definition lenses touted awhile back. I tried those, and they did absolutely nothing to enhance the target or its color & they were RX so they were really expensive. I returned them. The talk then as I remember was they were not able to do it with a perscription?!
    So, now after cataract surgery and a new lens no more perscription needed-I see 20/20 after 55 yrs of wearing glasses.
    So-does anyone have any experience with the plano CMT lenses by Randolph?
    I'd like to know about enhanced clarity of objects, colors etc. Thanks for any help you might give me.
    Bill
    Warming up in Colorado--even shot a couple rds today.

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

RANDOLPH

Bill,

Glad you are warming up in Colorado! I sell Decot's, so I am a little partial to them. The last time I was at the gun club though, a shooter there had just bought some Ranger XLW frames with CMT lenses. I looked thru them (didn't shoot) at some targets that people were shooting. My opinion on them is......they would work nicely with intense sunlight, but if the sun ever dips behind the clouds, I would be in trouble. They are just a little too dark for me, but that doesn't mean they would be for you. There is a Ranger Dealer in Colorado. I can't remember the guy's name, but I vended next to him at the Missouri Fall Handicap one time. He told me that he mainly shot bunker, but vended ATA shoots. If you can find out who that is, maybe you could hook-up with him at some club in Colorado and try the CMT's out.

Matt Woodson

3. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

RANDOLPH

The lenses were originally made for the Coast Guard to use during sea rescue operations looking for orange life vests in the water. They really only work well in strong sunlight and for orange targets. I've had a pair for years and only use them when it's sunny and when orange targets are being thrown. The targets really show up! I like them and would probably buy another pair if I had to providing I had the money. They're not cheap.

You have to make the decision if they are worth the cost. Congrats on the surgery.

John Semprini

4. honorable mention

honorable mention TS Member

RANDOLPH

I have had a pair of the CMT for 3-4 yrs. They seem to help for quicker pick-up of the target especially in the sunshine. Really helps to find the second target in doubles. During cloudy or darker conditions I don't use them. Worth the price ? Certainly; Can't have too many lenses or guns.

Warren

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

RANDOLPH

I use them as I'm a bit red deficient... I use them in full sun and partly sunny days with good results... ask around - the guys have them... borrow a pair and shoot a couple rounds and give them a test-drive...

regards,

Jay

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

RANDOLPH

get medium vermillion.

7. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

RANDOLPH

Like everyone has said, I like mine, but only on bright sunny days. If there's a chance of clouds, have another set to change at the end of the 25. Thanks David

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

RANDOLPH

Same as most of the others on here. I make sure there are no clouds in the sky when I use them. On bright sunny days they are great, but give me a cloud and does nothing but hinder me.

Dave in SC

9. BL350

BL350 TS Member

RANDOLPH

Dear Rotten Luck Willie,
    As Shotgun people said, excellent in bright sunlight. Especially when shooting doubles, I love how the CMT lense lights up the second target. If the sun goes behind a cloud, target visibility suffers!!
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jet Boat Bill ATA Life member.

10. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

RANDOLPH

Willie,

I use them to ref in for Olympic Matches. True that they are best for bright sunny days which we have in abundance in Texas. The best option for those with prescriptions is the XLW frames, inserts and then the lenses. With this you can change just the lens color and keep the prescription the same. When your prescription changes you only need change the inserts.

Hope this helps.

Jack

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

RANDOLPH

Somebody used to market a color called Watermelon...for me they worked much better than plain vermillions which washed the target to a gray color when the sun went in ...they were like pink with a touch of chromatic orange ..they brightened everything like the old 1st gen blue blockers...wished I could find another set ..anybody know more??/

12. WWB

WWB Member

RANDOLPH

Geez a ton of good advice and "thought provokers"! So: Barry--I have a pair of Vermillions. To John/Warren/Jay/David/Dave in SC/ JetBoat Bill/Jack and Calvin------Thanks guys.

Calvin--in Vegas one time I looked through a pair that were almost Pink in color and in that environ they sure made the target glow--I even came back at dusk and the target still glowed. Never have seen them again and being it was Vegas I was financially embarrassed so never got them.

I will try to find someone with a set that I can look through or see if I can find a Ranger dealer in Colorado.
    Thanks again all.
    Bill

13. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

RANDOLPH

I LOVE them on very bright days with the white snow on the ground. As soon as the sun goes behind the clouds, you better have another pair of lenses in your pocket! I'm almost blind then.....they're very picky on when you can use them.

14. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

RANDOLPH

RL Willie - My personal experience has been very good in certain situations. Some mentioned above (bright sun, snow cover, etc) but I have found that they work best for me w/ a green or brown background. Against a clear sky background I have been more successful w/ other colors. My home club's background is mostly tall trees in the midwest. All that said I like them & use them fairly often. John in Iowa

15. dropdeaded

dropdeaded TS Member

RANDOLPH

The ranger dealer's name in Colorado is Mike Herman. You can reach him through shootingaccessories.com. Got our CMT's through him and we love them here in southern Utah and at Jack's range in Texas as there are mostly sunny days - little harder when the light fades!

16. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

RANDOLPH

I've seen them work well in very bright sunny days, but seen light purple or vermillion work better for changing or hazy conditions.

TNCoach

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

RANDOLPH

They do make the Ranger CMTs in Rx best on sunny bright days w/o clouds.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

RANDOLPH

You can get a set of Ranger Sporters with the script lens as the base & get CMT clip ons.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cmt lens for trap shooting
cmt lence
cmt lenses on snow
randolph ranger lenses
ranger cmt lens review
ranger cmt lenses review

re cmt lens

what are cmt lenses