1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranch Hand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How is the Rossi Ranch Hand not considered a sawed off rifle? It looks like something a street gang member would make. Don't get me wrong. I don't think it should be illegal just cause i don't have a use for it. My point is, if i modified my Marlin 30-30 to look like that and the BATF caught wind, i'd be writing from prison. Just say'n.............

Rossi Ranch Hand.....

grntitan_2009_250334.jpg

.............................................................................

Rossi Trail Judge......

grntitan_2009_250341.jpg

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Another variation of a Mare's Leg. Could never get a good answer on these. Some claim that they are registered as handguns and thus ok. All I know is that I would not want to be holding one in NJ.

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This gun and the Mare's Leg are classified by the ATF as handguns. The Taurus Judge is classified as a hand gun and not a short barrels shotgun.
    Mike battista

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Kinda just slips in between pages then huh???

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The bigger question is why?

Why have a pistol that is too big to handle like a pistol but too short stocked to work as an effective shoulder fired gun?

Evidently there is a market for them.....

6. Beni

Beni Member

Ghetto cowboys love that sht............ beni

7. shelly

shelly TS Member

The really big question is: why the hell not? Just because I don't want one doesn't mean nobody should have one. It would make a great rattlesnake gun IMO.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

So what is the barrel length of the Ranch Hand??? What is the minimum legal barrel length???

Bob Lawless

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The greatest rattlesnake gun is the one you happen to be able to produce when you need to. The little lambs leg won't qualify because it is too big to holster and not worth packing as a long gun because if you wanted to do that you would be carrying a real shotgun or rifle in the first place.

The hip shootin lever gun thing is strickly Hollywood BS.

But hey there is a market ....

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Looks like an AOW to me, or a "smooth bore pistol", $5 tax stamp and you are good to go.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The min. barrel length for rifle is 16", anything shorter than that will be a handgun, and can't have shoulder stock. Unless classified as a class 3 firearm.

Very popular configuration in the AR platform.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Another question: If one cut down a rifle like that, where would one find a gunsmith who would be wiling to recrown the barrel? I think Chuck Conners used something like one of these on the TV show, "The Rifleman":

Mad Magazine's Parody of show "The Rifleman":

Old Man: "Hey Lucas, who are you going to shoot up on this trip to town?"

Lucas: "You, you loud-mouthed trouble maker!!"

I always liked Mad Magazine..

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had a plastic copy of one of these when I was a kid. As in Steve McQueen in "Wanted Dead or Alive."

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Chango2:

I remember that Mad magazine parody of The Rifleman. Lucas was "The cat who carries the rifle, man."

One of the themes was that Lucas McCain loved peace and quiet. When questioned, he would respond "Nothing more peaceful than a dead body."

Also, in the drawings of the article, the rifle Lucas used had fire coming from both the barrel and the magazine tube.

I would not care to buy a Ranch Hand, Trail Judge or a Judge but to each his/her own.

Ed Ward

15. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

The Rifleman used a rifle. Hence the name. That rifle had the large loop with a flip up trigger actuator. When you closed the handle it would trip the trigger, thus the rapid fire.This unit used a pistol type cartridge. Wanted Dead or Alive used the "Mares Leg" with the rifle cartridge.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

GWII in the 1870's when those two shows were supposed to be happening the standard ammo was .44 or .45. The rifle manufacturers of that era chambered their rifle with the same Caliber as the handgun.

The reason was that most "Cowboys" didn't have the room to carry two many different types of ammo. So I am not sure your argument holds water, Beside Lucas always carried his ammo in his shirt pocket. He would never have been able to reload with to many in his pocket without loosing his pocket....LOL

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.