1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ran my 1st 50 with 7/8oz loads.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by imissone, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imissone

imissone TS Member

With the cost of shot nowadays ($38.00)a bag, I started loading 7/8oz loads. I figure I should get 430+ loads per 25lb bag of shot. I use 20g of International clay, winchester hulls, wads and 209 primers. I shooting around 1200fps. When I am on, I am smoking them. I ran a 50 today with great hits.
    I think I will shoot this for the winter and then use 1 1/8oz load at matches.
    I shoot 1 1/8oz at 1200fps so my timing will stay the same. Anybody else shoots 7/8oz loads? Would it make sense that shooting 7/8oz loads will make you a better shooter? Your pattern will be a little smaller, so you have to be on the target?

imissone,
    (not today)!

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

...(yawn)...

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Sleepy Buzz? I too shoot 7/8. I use 16.5 promo. They are good loads with low recoil. Jake

4. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

the only guy that ran the 200 16s at the iowa state shoot shot 7/8 ouncers.

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

imissone

Good shooting so was that you first ever 50 straight if so then nice shooting but if it was the first with the 7/8's ounce load then all I got to say is im sure you enjoyed the less recoil and im sure the faster speed like you said if you are on then you are on the target so I see no difference in 7/8's and 1 1/8 oz. Of course I prefer the max myself in competition.

Fog

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

7/8 oz. is all you need for 16 yds. I practice 16s with 3/4 oz. with #9 shot and they break all properly pointed targets. Best Regards, Ed

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have been shooting the 24 gram load for everything but caps for years. I use a tube gun for Skeet, and do not shoot the 12 in this sport.

I use 21 gr of Rex 1 with a cheap hull (diana/kemen, federal game), Rio primer, Claybuster 12SO clone, and 24 grams of 7 1/2's. There are NO cold weather performance issues.

I use a lot of choke, and when I do my part, I get soot in the air!

8. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

If you have not changed choke, your pattern will be the same size as it was, just a bit less dense. Give 8.5 shot a whirl. International clays has the rap of not being a good winter powder. You might try a 17.5 to 18gr load of plain old Clays. Enjoy the 7/8 loads, they surprise a lot of folks. Obviously not Buzz though.

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

DeviL'SAdvoCAte

I won my KY State shoot in 1990 using 8.5 shot in the singles championship I was 375 straight that day so as you can tell I went about as many in the shoot off.s as the program targets.

Also the competition was pretty tough and it was 525 shooters that day maybe they thouhgt it was my day to win.

Fog

10. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

What choke is generally being used for the 7/8 oz?

11. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I agree each should shoot what they like 1 1/8 oz, 1 oz, or 7/8oz - less if they choose. Shot 7/8 oz at ATA event Saturday 98 sgls, 99 hdcp (24yds), and 90 doubles. This was my best HOA day ever and highest hdcp score ever. Don't plan on changing anything at next ATA event (maybe stronger prescription so I can see the targets from the 25yd line - hee hee).

PS - full choke for sgls/hdcp. Full/mod for dbls. Reloads 1225 fps #8s all.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have been fooling around with 7/8 loads for the last month. Shooting only from the 27 I've busted a few straights. I did nothing except change the wad and reduce the shot to 7/8 from 1 1/8 (20grs of green dot, & 7.5 shot, duster wad, AA primer, AA shell). Their a little faster, smack the target, and have a lot less recoil. I don't get the dust when I center a target like I do with the 1 1/8 load. So, I'm sure the pattern is less dense rather than smaller.

13. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Fog,

I can relate...when I won mine with my first 200 straight, I was shooting 9's from a .027 barrel.

I also woke up late that day, and had a can of sunkist and a 3-Musketeers bar for breakfast, from the little rural gas station on my way to the shoot. (IIRC, I was listening to Alice in Chains on the stereo that morning).

I got there late, and bought 9's because it was all they had left. If I'd thought I'd be shooting well enough to be "in the running" that day, I'd probably have stopped at Wally World and gotten some 8's or larger (heck, even if I _wasn't_ expecting to shoot good - and I wasn't - , I still woulda bought something bigger if I'd known they would be sold out).

So what role did the 9's and open choke have on my success? About as much as the sunkist and candy bar...namely, it was just another detail about that day, like the music that was on the stereo, the name of the person who classified me, and the color of the puller's hair.

So, do I make a ritual of it and go around replicating the act of eating sunkist and candy bars before every shoot, expecting the same result? No...today, what I know now...I wouldn't step to the line with anything less than .037 and a full charge of 8's or bigger - because my subsequent experiments have convinced me from an intellectual standpoint that they are better...even if the puny loads and choke did just happen to make me a hero for a day, one time.

Yes, 7/8oz. loads will "smack the targets" when you "do your part" and center the target...but then again, so will a .22 rifle.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks Buzz, I just finished dinner (twice) and now I have to have a Sunkist and a 3-Musketeer.

15. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I would think that pattern size would be the same no matter what size the payload is. The pattern size (diameter) is controlled by the amount of choke constriction. A 7/8 ounce load would just be a little less densely populated with shot than a 1-1/8 ounce load, and the shot string would probably be a bit shorter with the 7/8 ounce load as well. JMHO .....Rick

16. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Shannon, if I were superstitious...I'd be freaking out...because I'm not all that sure it wasn't a Milky Way...

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Paris would say "that's hot"

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My IMOD seems to find its' way into my Unsingle, although I cooacionally screw in something tighter, and I like LM/IMOD for Dubs.

19. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

7/8 of STS 8 1/2, 18.3 Promo, 1240 and .035, will break straight after straight. I find that the pattern is considerably smaller in my tube, if I want a larger pattern just go to more shot. The 7/8 seems to make for more precise shooting, I wish I could bring myself to use this load for registered targets, bet it would help my scores but just don't get a chance to shoot enough registered as it is. It doesn't like the wind so much but for 16's on a nice day I will shoot with anybody. My next project is 3/4 oz of hard 9, prob at about 1250 to 1300.

20. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

7/8 # 8 16.0 Red Dot Claybuster = all is good from 16

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.