1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Ramshot Competition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shoot n Holler, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Member

Does anyone have any feed back on the competition powder? Looks like 1-1/8 loads are limted to around 1230fps or so.How does it burn in the cold weather? Like to hear what loads you like.

Thanks
    Mark
  2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have shot way more Red Dot than any other powder but I have shot up 4 of the 8 pound jugs of Ram Shot over the past 5 or so years and think that it is a good powder. The biggest problem is being able to always find it when you need it --- lots of times it isn't available. I have gotten mine at Schantz Supply in Otsego , Michigan but usually end up getting Red Dot as it has always been in stock.

Ram Shot Competition is pretty close to Red Dot in burning rate (it is just a tiny bit slower). The biggest difference between them is that Red Dot is a light flake type powder while Ram Shot is a more dense ball type powder. Because of that, Ram Shot flows better and will meter more accurately through your reloader. That being said, even though there is somewhat more variation in loads using Red Dot, I have never found it to be enough to be a problem.

Because it is a dense powder it requires a smaller powder bushing as compared to powders like Red Dot (about 4 MEC sizes smaller). This may be a plus or a minus to you, depending on what wad/hull combination you are using as it frees up a little more space in the hull.
  3. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

It is a fine powder and will sift out from the powder bar. I quit using it after less than a pound. It smoked so bad on the line that everyone stared at me. I burned the rest in the wheelbarrow.
  4. dls guide

dls guide Member

I have used lots of Competition powder and like it very much. I just can't fine it for a good price anymore. Don't be afraid of Ramshot powder.
  5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Mark -

Ramshot competition is the old Winchester AA Plus. Not similar. Exactly. It is the same powder. I used to buy the powder from a distributor back in the mid 90's and sold a lot of it. It was marketed under the designation SMP-134 (St. Marks Powder #134) When Western Powders bought the rights to it, my distributor could no longer get it and all they did was slap their sticker over the SMP-134 markings and called it Ramshot Competition Clay Target Powder and maked the price up from the $185 I was paying for it to $250 overnight and the price just kept going up. It is a clean burning, good metering powder. I used to get 1250 FPS no sweat using Remington STS hulls, Remington STS Primers, Remington Figure 8's (The real ones) and a 1 1/8 of mag 8's. Chronographed at 1250 out of a ported 34 inch Citori Plus barrel. If you can find it at a reasonable price, I would not hesitate to jump on a keg. I will dig through my stuff and see if I can't find all of my old chrony data. I did some testing with cheddites and Claybuster whites CB1118's too.

Jeff
  6. C-Money

C-Money Member

Good to know that it is the same as AA plus. I shot a few pounds of AA plus before it went away, and really liked it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.