1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raising the Rib on MX-8???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by otnot, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I was going to do the same thing to my MX8 but one of the gunsmiths on here advised against it. I guess when you remove the original rib the barrel tends to droop and I guess it is very hard to get the gun to shoot the same POI as before.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What reason do your local experts give for improving your game by raising the rib?

Note, IF you do this, you will also have to raise your comb a commensurate amount to get the same POI you had before. Otherwise you'll be looking into the back of the rib, not over top of it.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

question- when you look down the rib now -does the entire rib show as between the beads?( like an airline pilot looking down the runway) and if you think about it- are you aiming off the end of the barrel? here is what i would try- get a peice of pine wood, cut it to slightly narrower than your rib, make it 3/8" tall, length will be what ever your barrel is! notch out for the front bead, take a dremmel tool to cut small slot for center bead. slope the back for a ramp-- paint flat black and attach with double back carpet tape( temporary). try this and see if heighth is ok( may go to 1/2")! if you answered yes to my first 2 questions, then i'll bet you wont have to move the comb up! the taller rib will simply turn the angle of your head- you wont be looking out the top of your "eyes". you will have a much more comfortable gun to shoot andless likely to raise your head after recoil!! ps- if this works- get some tape from meadow industries,they make the crossfire blade- this tape wont hurt your rib and really works for a permanant hold for the wood.and is removeable!!!!!

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would add a Keensights rib from Vickie Keen. You can get one parallel to keep the same POI or have it slope down to the front to raise the POI. You will need to raise your comb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.