1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raising the comb height on an old SxS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vatrap, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

[​IMG]

I need some advice on how to add about 3/8" to the comb height on an old Stevens 5100 SxS, I bought a replacement stock and got it fitted to the receiver without much problem, but when I mount the gun I'm looking at the back of the receiver and don't even see the bead.

I have seen a lot of stocks built up with bondo or other composites, but it seems like 3/8" of bondo would be fairly brittle and would eventually crack or break.

The drawbolt hole in the stock is fairly close to the comb, so I don't think I can get an adjustable comb unit into it. I have seen some older shotguns where it looked like someone sawed the stock front to back and fitted a spacer block of wood in it and sanded it out and refinished it.

Any helpful ideas appreciated.

Mike

2. EEB

EEB Member

Your best bet may be to cut the comb off and add wood. I did this to a Parker that some past owner had flattened the comb. The result was an extra 1/4" at the nose and 1/2" at the heel. If you can fit a replacement stock you can do this. Just make sure your cuts are true and surfaces flat. Use a good two-part epoxy.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

On a classic gun like that..I would get one of those very cool looking leather comb pads that lace across the bottom of the stock..it would take out any face punch too along with protection for that pretty new stock finish...I'll see if I can find a pic

4. vatrap

vatrap Member

I have looked at one of these or a Beretta Gel-Tek, I have not had good experiences with the lace on type, they always seem to wiggle around.

Mike

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Look at a tapered "scope-eez" stick on comb pad, available from Brownells

6. romie

romie Active Member

I have the same problem with all stocks I use the glue on pad that is sold by Gamilia.Kick ez I think cost 15.00 If you want to get fancy you can cover with leather thin leather.
    Monty

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

If you don't need much lift, the Beretta looks the best. Most of the lace-ons today look like junk. I had a Jostam lace-on attached to a gun for thirty years without problems, but I don't know where to get one of those today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
i sxs
old sxs
old sxs mon

stevens 5100 replacement stock