1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Raising point of impact on a fixed stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sportshot, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sportshot

Sportshot Member

This gun shoots low for me so I need to find a way to raise the POI.

The stock is a little long at 15". And I could shoot it as short as 14.5" or even 14 3/8".

As it is right now, when I press my head down on the stock with a normal hold I see the rear of the receiver and not the rib. I can see the beads and rib if I either hold my head a little more upright or if I crawl the stock and place my head a little further forward on the stock towards the receiver.

That gave me the idea that if it cut the stock I will see the rib with a comfortable mount and it may raise the POI which is what I am trying to do. Am I correct? will shortening the stock raise the POI? Is the reason it shoots low because with my head down I am not getting a level sight picture?

Thanks, Sportshot

sportshot_2008_0303290.jpg
  2. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

You need an adjustable comb

Really you need a different stock- a parallel comb stock with an adjustable comb

Your idea isnt going to work- just leave you with a stock that might be too short and then it or the gun will be difficult to sell

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  3. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

A monte carlo type of stock would have a level comb that is parallel to the rib but a field type of stock like yours has a downward slope to the rear. If you shorten your stock your cheek will be further forward on the comb and that will raise the POI a little. You can add some thin strips of moleskin to the top of the comb and this will further raise your POI. There is nothing wrong with seeing a bit of rib when you mount the gun. I don't have an adjustable comb either but I have used the Meadow Industries Convert A Stock Pad on my comb for over 25 years.
  4. 221

221 Active Member

Raise your head up a little. There's no need to use your cheek bone for a gauge. Put a little more cheek on the stock and practice that mount. Find where your head needs to be, then learn to put your head there.
  5. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Member

I'm not sure I'd express your problem as "shooting low". It's more like the gun has a stock so low for you, that the gun is unusable for you.

Since you "press your head down on the stock with a normal hold", and all you see is "the rear of the receiver and not the rib", then the gun is essentially unusable that way. Nobody can shoot a shotgun with only the rear of the receiver visible. At a minimum, you must get your eye up to the level of the rib.

From your photo, it looks like your stock's comb has a fair amount of slope. If placing your face further forward on the stock gets your eye up to the level of the rib, yes, that will solve your problem . . . provided everything else you said proves to true . . . especially the part about you being able to shoot this stock when it's made 1/2- to 5/8-inch shorter.

If shortening the stock results in your face being further forward on the comb (probable), and your eye is then at least at rib level, then the gun will then be at least usable for you. Whether the POI with your eye in this position is optimum for you is a separate subject . . . POI may be perfect, or it may still be too low for you. Only way to tell is via actual shooting.
  6. rogertc

rogertc Member

Try raising your face with moleskin - available at any drug store. Mark the stock where your face rests NORMALLY and build up that area with moleskin. Cut 1/2" by 6" strips and stick them on top of the comb lengthwise and on top of each lengthwise other until you get the POI right. Cover all the strips with one big strip 6" by 6" and you are good to go. Once you are sure the height is right, you can continue to use the moleskin forever or replace the strips with a stick-on pad of the right height. Be careful that the stick-on pad is NOT the same thickness on the sides and top or it will push your face away from the stock. Check the following site for "Slimside" pads up to 3/8" thick but with thin sides.

P.S Won the State Doubles Championship using an 1100 with moleskin on the comb!

http://www.classicusc.com/D_E_Slimsides_p/dess01.htm
  7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

You can put lipstick on a pig but she's still a pig. It's no wonder it takes so many thousands of rounds of shooting before the lights come on! Several dimensions on a shotguns stock must be correct for an individual to achieve any degree of consistency! Sure, you can break a lot of targets with most any stock on a shotgun, after all, the bullet is around 30 inches in diameter! That is FAR different than using a fitted to you stock for trap and learning how to use the center most portion of it's pattern for consistency!

Get a trap stock set up for you for the game of trap if consistency is what your looking to achieve! Cheap when compared to the many thousands of dollars all the targets and ammo cost will be attempting to FIT yourself to a shotguns stock!!

Hap
  8. GJB02

GJB02 Member

I had the same problem with one of my guns. I would bring the gun up and see the rear of the reciever. I tried a cheekeeze pad.I think that they come in three different thickness. It worked fine.I had no problems with it. Once I used it for a while, I removed the pad and had an adjustable comb installed. No problem removing the cheekeeze pad and no damage to the stock finish. Very happy with the adjustable comb.

GJB
  9. johnboy

johnboy Member

I second the use of the cheekeeze pad.
  10. slayer

slayer Active Member

cheekeeze for sure. i use it on my field guns to raise the poi. Bill
  11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Haven't tried them yet,but I bought a couple Quick-Stik soft comb pads.Each 1/16 thick,supposedly will raise POI 2 inches per 1/16 inch at 40yds.Soon as I decide on buyiing gun I'm trying out I'll probably try one.Don't want to mar finish,just in case they would,before I buy the gun.

Doug H.
  12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Sell the gun and buy one that fits. Ignore 221's suggestion as raising your head off the comb to get a proper sight picture results in inconsistent cheek pressure and imperfect mounts. If you want to shoot trap buy a trap gun or retire the one you have for Sporting Clays or Hunting!!
  13. Conner

Conner TS Member

How do you remove tha cheekeeze pad?
  14. 221

221 Active Member

DON"T listen to a word out of oldawg, he tells new shooters they need release triggers.....hachachachac....listen to him and you'll give up and go to paintball.
  15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Shorten the stock then if that didn't move things up enough you will have to look at other alturnatives.
    Joe
  16. bcnu

bcnu TS Member

Moleskin or duck tape is the original adjustable comb. While not pretty, it will work but an adjustable comb will be much better and it will save you in the long run. Just like any carpenter, you have to have the right tools for the job and a way low shooting gun just is not the right tool for trapshooting.

Rollin Oswalds stock fitting guide might be of particular interest to you. It pretty well explains all the different aspects of stock fit. John
  17. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

New stock needed. Use Moleskin till you get it.
  18. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Active Member

The 'dawg shall return to this fight most directly...
  19. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I bought one of the stock raising kits (not proper name obviously) at Bass Pro. Its a neoprene sleeve/sock that fits tightly over stock and comes with several thickness's of foam shims that allow you to essentially raise or lower the comb. simulating an adjustable unit. Plus it's padded, it got the job done until I was sure if trap was game I wanted to play. That was a million dollars ago. LOL
  20. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Instead of cheek-eze, look at a scope-eze. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=15487/Product/SCOPE-EZE It raises your comb and also makes it parrallel. I have put them on a couple of my field guns. They come as strap on or stick on. Mark
    oregunner_2008_030328.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.