1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RAISING POA NEED AND RIB ??????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I,m going to change the POA on my trap gun this winter . The gun shoots 80/20 and I need to get it up to 100% . It has an ADJ. comb but I don,t like seeing alot of rib ( doing that now) .

The question is a new rib or an add on rib or a new barrel ??

Anyone done this give me your thoughts .

ALF-99

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Bewnd the Barrell, or send it to Tom Wilkinson, the whole gun and tell him how much you want to raise the POI, he can do it reasonably. He does it it for all the top shooters all the time.

Call him at 1-919-603-0167 talk to him and tell him what you want to do.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Gary the barrel has Wilkinson tubes in it now . I need to raise the rib not just make it shoot higher . I see add-on ribs for sale but have never seen one on a gun .

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have the same problem. I tried the add on aluminum rib but it caused heatwaves. I talked to Dennis Devault and he makes a Durlin rib installed for about $300. Dennis wouldn't add a rib to my MX8 due to complications he called barrel droop after removal of the old rib. I have talked to Simmons and Moneymaker as well. But after talking to Dennis I'm hesitant to have a new rib put on so I will probably go with Dennis's Durlin add on rib.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

ALF-99,

I have owned and shot numerous guns with add-on ribs. I really liked the more heads-up shooting style that the add-on ribs promote. I've changed POI on a couple and left the POI alone on a couple. I will do it again on future guns.

A couple of thoughts. Get the lightest design possible. Otherwise you have to weight the stock just a bit to get the dynamics back that you want.

If you use ported tubes or have ported barrels, make sure to use an adhesive that is temp resistant. Two sided tape just doesn't cut it when its being exposeded to exaust gasses.

Call up Vickie at Keen-sights, and tell her what POI you need. She'll get the right ramp angle and you'll be set.

ec90t

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Alf, the POA/POI Committee of TS.com is not yet ready to issue a final report, but I think they are leaning toward advising you that it's the POI you want to change, not the POA.

To me, Keensights seems to have just what you are looking for. I'm thinking of trying one myself, in fact.

Neil

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Neil It,s the POA I need to change . At this time I see a good inch between the beads . So the gun is shooting right at 100% POI that way . I would like to look down the rib and still shoot 100% or higher . Changing the POA of the rib will let me do this .

ALF

8. Neil Winston

That's why I said the Committee has not yet finished its report, Alf, pending further comment by posters here. Which is to say you may be right . . .

Anyone?

Neil

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Alf,

You need to raise the rear end of the rib to get the sight picture you want. This can be done by using an add on rib which is thin by the front bead and thicker by the end near your eye.

You maybe able to get the sight picture you want by moving the middle bead forward, closer to the front bead.

Another option would be to go to an arts and craft store and get a long thin piece of balsa wood paint it black and shape it like the add on rib you need.
    Once you get it right you can have an add on rib made by Keen Sights. HMB

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

What's the point of having a rib when you can't see any of it???

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have add on ribs on my barrels. Keensights has a nice selection and they will make one to your specifications at a reasonable price. If Keensights had been in business when I got my add on ribs I would have saved $200.

Pat Ireland

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I agree 100% with Pat . hmb that is what I,m looking to do . I,m thinking 3/8,s in back 1/8 in front will be close for an add-on rib .

You know 40 years ago we shot model 12,s off the end of the barrel to shoot a higher POA . No more I will be looking down the rib .

ALF

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Alf, what stock set do you have on the Seitz? Is it 80-120? If you do the add on rib thing, and your wood is set up for max 80% POI, you'll have to add longer posts. I have (13) 1/16" shims on my Seitz (60/80 adjustible rib) and my gun shoots 100%. I'd trade the wood off, but I have a soft touch and like it.

14. Neil Winston

By putting on a rib which is different heights at the back and front,Mark?

Neil

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Dove Commander My wood is just standard wood for a 80/20 rib but to high in the comb for me . If I add 3/8,s inch in the back of the rib I can raise it . I have all the ajustment to use as it,s flat now .

16. DOBER01

DOBER01 TS Member

Ditto on the balsa wood and Keen sights. Did this three years ago.Never any problems. Gun shoots where I look.

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I would talk to Richie and see what it would cost to trade for an adjustible rib. Is the gun shooting 80/20 for you with the beads stacked? I saw your pics, and the comb looked high compared to mine.

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Dove Commander I can,t stack the beads (to high in the comb) and that is why I,m looking for an add-on rib
    ALF

19. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

MOVE YOUR CENTER BEAD FORWARD....

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

harpo I don,t think that will get my POA up enough . Also That would be close to shooting off the end of the barrel and I,m trying not to do that .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does higher rib change poa and poi