1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raised Rib?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ismah, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I'm thinking of raising the ventilated rib on my trap gun 3/4s of an inch. I'd like some comments on the smartness of this move and if anyone out there has done the same and what their results have been.
    Bill B.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I installed a 3/4" add on rib to my Ljutic from Keen. Of course, I had to make a new comb for my PFS. Total height of rib about 1 3/8". Works great.

3. LMac

LMac TS Member

Bill, I made an add on rib out of walnut for my BT-100 about 3/8 inch. I wanted to lower my POI because the gun was shooting much too high. I don't have an adjustable comb but do have a gracoil recoil system that is adjustable. It worked out really well. I don't have to lower my head near as much when I mount the gun now.

4. ismah

ismah Member

Mrkslc,
    Thanks for responding. I shoot a Remington 870 Trap gun. It has a raised monte-carlo style stock. Nothing is adjustable on the gun. I've been in a slump at the range and recently tried a friends gun that has a raised rib and ran the 25 targets. (first time in a long time) I've manufactured a rail from some wood I have in my shop and it happens to be the same height as my friends, 3/4 ". Haven't tried it out yet. My POI is almost dead center at 30 yards. (I tested in my back yard is the reason for the yardage)
    I'm mostly looking for some feedback from someone on the difference between a regular rib and a raised one. Any input will be appreciated.

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Bill: The first point to remember in adding a raised rib to any shotgun is that in order to maintain the existing POI, you must raise the comb the same height as the add on rib. That is, if you added a 3/4" rib, you would have to raise the comb 3/4". If you do not raise the comb, then you will end up with a greatly lowered POI. Second, if the rib is the same height front and rear, the POI would be the same (if comb raised), but by changing the height at front (tapering rib) you can raise the POI to whatever you would like. If you want a raised rib you will need also to have an adjustable comb installed. I have used raised ribs on several of my trap guns, and find them to be more comfortable as they allow a more heads up hold, and better stance. Keen Sights can make either fixed or adjustable add on ribs to your specs once you know what you want-they can raise or lower POI etc as you want if you give them the specs you want, and I find they make a great product at a reasonable price. Check their web site for more info, or give Vicki Keen a call. She is great to talk to.

Jim R

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Jim and shot410ga.,I have been thinking of adding a rib to my Ljutic mid-rib mono that presently shoots 70/30 and has an adjustable comb. I have been on the Keen web page and looked at some of their ribs. I want a rib height so that I can keep my head errect. I would also need to add extended post so as to get the comb at the right height. Any info and possible cost to do this would be appreciated. Thanks--Steve

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

An upright head and neck position is a laudable goal. Once you get used to it, your shooting should improve. The strain on your eyes and neck will decrease substantially and your head is more likely to remain in place (relative the the rib) during swings.

Jim R is absolutely correct. As goes the rib, so must go the comb (Elizabethan English).

A more upright head and neck posture can also be achieved by raising your gun mount, your trigger-hand elbow and by shrugging your shoulders. Another option is to increase the gun's drop at the heel by installing a pad-adjuster. None are likely to require changing the height of the comb.

Some shooters can use raised ribs successfully and some cannot. The ones who have trouble are those who's mind uses the muzzle to create sight pictures rather then the end of the rib.

Rollin

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Steve: I have found that raising the rib about 1/2 to 5/8 works best for me. I have also done this for several others with good success. But you need to try various options to see what works for you. The best way to test I have found is to use a piece of balsa or other light wood of the same (or close) width of your rib, cut it to the right height and tape to your gun, then try some shooting. Try various heights. Once you have found the right height for you, then you can order a rib from someone like keen sights to your specs. Then can maintain POI, or raise or lower it as you like. Be sure to get rib slotted to reduce weight (also looks better) For a custom rib like that, cost at Keen Sights would be right around 200.00. Any good gunsmith can make higher posts for the comb, and the last time I had this done, cost was around 50.00.
    Note also that Rollin is absolutely correct-some folks cannot shoot a raised rib (or an unsingle), probably because they sub-conciously use the barrel as an aid to pointing. This is why a trial with a wood test rib is a good idea to see if it works for you.

Jim R

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Jim and Rollin, thanks for the info. Rollin, I mainly would like to try the more heads-up shooting mainly because of neck problems and from time-to-time a problem with relaxing my cheek on the stock(mainly in hdc.) I thought this might help that problem also.

Jim, I have shot unsingles before and didn't seem to have any problem with that issue. I agree that trying what you suggested before investing would be a smart thing to do. I was considering trading the Ljutic for something like an MX-15,but would want to be sure I can shoot a gun with that configuration before taking that step.Thanks again for your help. Steve

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Steve:

The main reason I started using add-on ribs on my trap guns was just for that reason-I have problems in the neck vertebrae, and the raised rib allows a more erect posture/head position, which in turn has allowed me to shoot more with fewer physical problems. So if that is one of your issues, I would agree a trial with raised ribs is a good idea for you, or anyone with such a problem. After using raised rib guns for awhile, I found that not only did it help with neck problems, but I also increased my average so for me it was a win-win situation.

Jim R

11. smokeshow

smokeshow Member

had moneymaker do a new 3/4" rib on my tm1 a month ago, and would pay double what it costs me!

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim, that's what I wanted to know. Glad to see it helped you.

smokeshow, do you have a PFS or did you have longer posts installed?

13. shot410ga

AAtrap: If you have a PFS, the comb will have to be replaced, if you add a 3/4" rib it a Lujtic mid-rib. That's what my gun is, and I had to build a new comb. On a regular adjustable comb, you may only have to replace the posts, That's no big deal..

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

shot410ga, what is your gun shooting now % wise? I would need to extend posts on mine.

Mike, like the looks of your posts. I have a friend that probably has the capability to reproduce them. May I get more info from you if I decide to do that. Thanks guys. Steve

15. shot410ga

AAtrap: No change, still shoots 70/30, but I had to add a little space between the beads. Where I use to shoot a figure 8, I now have a little space between the beads. It must have to do with adding the rib height. I don't know. Maybe someone else can make a comment about that.

16. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Vern Brown now makes a spacer that allows you to use a high rib with the standard comb. Give him a call.

BR1

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

BR1, do you have a phone number for Vern Brown?

Thanks, Steve

18. smokeshow

smokeshow Member

AA Trap: I do not have a PFS, but I did have to put higher posts on, but then again my neck is very long. I shot a mx-15 before that and I shot it 80/20 with all of the spacers that came in the kit from perazzi under it. I love the new rib, and wouldn't trade it for a brand new un-single perazzi!

19. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

smokeshow, I also have a very long neck and have a tendency to crawl the stock. So you are saying that the 3/4 in. rib on your tm1 with the extended posts keeps your head more erect than the MX-15? Thanks --Steve

20. smokeshow

smokeshow Member

Yes it does. That was a problem I had with the mx-15, I would crawl the stock halfway through a 100 target event. I have shot the gun for almost 2 months and have yet to crawl the the stock yet. I am also don't have my face ground into the comb anymore either. Lance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
raised rib for a trap gun

raised rib on trap gun

raised shotgun ribs
raising ventilated rib
shooting with a raised rib