1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raise POI with adjustable stock? Hi-Viz?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DelarockX, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

If I raise the stock of my gun, will it raise my POI?

If I use a smaller bead in my front sight, will it raise my POI?

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Yes and perhaps. If you shoot just being aware of the end of the barrel as you concentrate on the bird, raising the comb will raise the POI. Not much experience with Hi Viz but if you are looking at the bead you are not focusing on the bird. I'm going to try one this weekend, will comment later. Marc

3. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

I'm having a slight difficulty focusing past my beads, but i use the center and the front bead to make sure i'm setting up the same way each time.

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

In theory, a smaller (lower) front bead would raise the POI, but the amount would probably be unnoticeable since the difference in height would be negligible. Raising the comb is the most practical and effective way to raise the POI. For those who discount the front bead role in setting POI, it is true that focus should be on the target, not on the bead. But the subconscious uses that bead (or the barrel) as a reference point as a way to properly position the barrel with regard to the target, so it does play a signficant role (unlike the middle bead, which serves only to allow for alignment check when shouldering the gun) If this were not so, you would simply be unable to hit anything, since there would be no reference point to align the barrel with target break point. So use your eyes to locate and focus on the target, and the mind (subconscious) will allow the body to align and point the gun properly.(that is, where the eyes are "looking")

Jim R

5. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

I raised my stock as far as it could go. Really lousy design BTW on the Cynergy Composite Stock. I find that it's much more comfortable for me now. I've somewhat lost my sight picture. There is a little bit of an adjustment period I'm sure. I want to tinker now before I get used to it. I believe I have the middle size bead in the front. The beads stack a little differently. The mid bead somewhat covers the bottom part of the front bead. The goal is to keep them stacked this weekend without screwing up my body mechanics. We'll see how it goes.

So... While keeping your cheek on the comb, do you tend to keep your head leaned forwards or straight up?

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I shoot a high rib gun in order that I can keep my head more upright. I find that this reduces fatigue for me over extended shooting periods, and thus helps scores.

BTW, trying to keep your beads in a "figure 8" alignment or something similar while trying to raise the POI by raising the comb is self defeating. The only two points that count in setting the POI are the rear sight height (your eye position) relative to the front sight height (front bead). As you raise the rear sight (your eye,) by raising the comb, you will normally see more of the rib, the middle bead will appear more separated from the front bead. If you "force" your cheek down to regain the middle/front bead relationship, you are negating the raised comb that you were trying to raise the POI with. That is why I basically ignore the middle bead, except to insure the gun is not canted when shouldered. It really plays no part in in the "sight picture" of the rear sight (eye) and front sight (bead) alignment, which is the relationship that determines POI. The only gun that you can really keep the middle and front bead relationship constant while changing the POI, is an adjustable rib with the pivot point in the middle of rib (this type of adjustable rib allows the rear of rib to rise, while the front lowers or vice versa and thus the amount of rib showing remains the same as you use the rib to raise or lower POI. Very few shotguns have this type of rib.

Jim R

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

DelarockX, there are a number of other "fixes". You could put an ADD-ON rib on your barrel, Dennis Devault and Dave Berlet, or Keen Sights build them.+/- $250. It will give the look you want down the rib, but you'll have to get longer posts for your comb so you can jack it up to look down the rib.

Wilkinson, Eyster, and Allor can bore your barrel out to give you a raised POI, but they are limited to about 20% increase in POI. Call them a call to get the actual details..+/- $600.

Or..sell the gun and get a new one that shoots higher. ;)

8. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

I find it odd that you would say that. When I raised the comb, the first thing I noticed was that the beads were somewhat more smooshed together.

I'm probably doing something wrong, I'm still very new at this.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

In the old days it was called shooting off the end of the barrel . At that time no one had or had ever seen an adjustable rib or comb .

We used whatever we could to raise the comb the middle bead was forgotten about . You used your eye and the target with a hint of front bead .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.