1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raise Comb How Much?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Assuming no change in shot velocity(1165fps)how much should the comb be raised @ 21-22 yard line? @ 27 yard line? I presume the POI should remain constant at differing yardages?

Thanks!

WNCRob

2. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

I agree that 16yd and handicap POI should be the same. Whatever height you add to the comb you should multiply by 32 - for example 1/8 inch added to the comb height will add 4 inches to your POI at 40 yards.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Figure out what affect gravity has on your shot pattern and they you will know how much to raise your comb. HMB

4. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

My seat of the pants math would indicate raising the comb 1/16th at 21-22 yards and 1/8th at 27 yards, plus an allowance for the effects of gravity. I'm sure some physics/ballistics expert has this figured out more precisely.

WNCRob

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I wish I could point the darn thing well enough to see the affect of a 1/16" comb change. We get too "cute" with stuff like this.

I just smile when I see an excellent shot who is ink-balling 20/25 move their comb by a 1/16" after missing a bird. Like that is going to matter?

A HOF shooter told me a 1/4" rib adjustment on a K-80 would move the pattern 4 feet. My rudimentary trigonometry skills could not prove this assertion.

Don Verna

6. dimapower

dimapower Member

POI is an important variable here. In general, high shooting gun requires little to no comb adjustment whereas a flat shooting gun would require adjustment all other factors considered equal. My gun shoots 100% high and find no comb adjustment required and my sight picture is fairly consistent on straight aways 16 - 27 yards

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have none between 16 and 27. I hold a high gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much to raise the comb to gain 3 inchs