1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raise comb how much to raise POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Without spending any time on the patterning board, if I want to go "quick and dirty" from 50/50 to 70/30, for 16yd targets, on a 30" o/u, how much should I raise the comb. I've always read 1/16" raises the POI 1" at 16 yds, but am not really sure how that would correlate to my question...

2. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I think if you pattern the gun there will be no doubt in the results!!!!!!,why guess.

Sandy Holehouse

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

skeet
    You are going to be hitting birds at over 30 yards not 16 yards.

1/16 inch will give about 2 inches POI change.

It matters not what XX/XX you "want". Keep raising the comb until you are topping most of your breaks and then come down until you are smoking them again. That is the POI you "need".

BUT - you should pattern the gun to insure it is not shooting left or right.

Don Verna

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

While most manufacturers provide an estimate of how much POI change can be expected for a given change in comb height (my Beretta nominally will change POI by 3 inches at 40 yards for each 1/16 inch washer inserted or removed), actual POI shifts may be very different for different individuals. My experience will not likely be the same as yours, or somebody elses. You do have to check it for yourself, whatever gun you are using. Further, it depends on where you break your targets. Typical is 30-35 yards, but your break point might be closer or further. The best way to set POI for the 16 yard line is to lock the trap for straight aways, shoot from station 3, and watch your breaks carefully. If the largest piece(s) fly upwards, you are hitting low. If they are flying downward, then you are hitting high. Adjust your comb upward (or downward) one washer at a time until your hits are centered with good, even breaks. It really is not important whether that point is a POI of 70/30, or 80/20, or something else. It matters only that, for you, using the sight picture, swing, etc that you shoot, you have centered the target for your style. Once this process is done, you are good to go with that particular gun.

Jim R

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

skeet man, the math is simple. Have someone measure the distance between your eye and the front bead while you have the gun mounted. Divide that number into the target distance you are interested in, then multiply by the amount you adjust your comb.

Let's suppose your eye/bead distance is 40" and 40 yards (1440") is the target distance. 1440 / 40 = 36. So whatever change you make to your comb will be magnified 36 times at 40 yards. Adjust your comb upwards by 1/8" and the POI at 40 yards will rise by 4.5". At 30 yards (singles target distances) it will rise by 3.4". (1080 / 40 = 27 x .125" = 3.4" @ 30 yards.

You can also work it backwards. You want to raise your POI by 6" at 40 or 4.5" at 30. So divide 4.5" by 27 = .167". That is how much you need to raise your comb to get to a 70/30 equivalent at 30 yards. Use 4mm spacers if Perazzi, or 3/16" spacers (a little high) if not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
comb raiser for trap

how high to raise the comb of shotgun for trap

how much to raise the comb to gain 3 inchs

raise comb to raise poi
raise comb without raising poi
raising comb moves poi how much
what does raising the comb on a skeet gun do