1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RAIN SUITS FOR SHOOTING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FOLKS,

At this years Westy Hogans shoot it pouredon Friday , to put it mildly ! I did have an L L BEAN rain suit , but I'm wondering if anyone makes raingear with trap shooters in mind -like they do winter shooting coats. I kept resonably dry in my outfit but the cut is not the best for mounting a shotgun . If you folks know of a good rainsuit please pass it along.

Thank you in advance for your time & help.

BILL

2. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

Frogg Toggs has lousy customer service (know-it-all-yuppies).

I like Cabela's.

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Frog Toggs are easy to pack,cheap,have a hood,and warm. With a vest over the jacket you are in pretty good shape.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Bill,

I was at the Westy too, so I can relate.

I use rain gear sold by Harley Davidson. Mine is their top-of-the line model with bib style pants and suspenders, and a jacket that comes with a removable hood.

The pants have heavy duty Velcro and zippered leg openings that go nearly to the knee for easy donning over my size 13 boots. The jacket is designed to be roomy for reaching handlebars and causes no binding when mounting the gun. The suit works well when it's windy and cold outside too.

The only down side is that they are expensive. Harley branding comes with a price, but their products are very high quality and heavy duty.

I'm sure there are excellent rain suits marketed by the other major motorcycle brands that are quite good also. I'd shop around if I were you.

After all how often do we go 60 MPH while shooting in the rain?? If it works on the road, it should work on the Trap field also.

Guy Babin

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've used the Browning PAC jacket and pants for some years. I've used them in rain and cooler weather as well as pheasant, deer and moose hunting. Bill Malcolm

6. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I have a set of heavy duty foul weather gear from West Marine...these were great for sailing in nasty weather....but too stiff and slick for shooting....had a hard time getting and keeping the gun in my shoulder pocket.

Frog Togs work much better for me and roll up small enough to keep in my shooting bag always ready to go....the bag is always in the trunk and they have come handy many times! Never had a problem with them so I can't speak to their customer service. Decent product at a good price.

I also have a set of Cabelas light weight camo rain gear, another good product that packs small...4X the money.

7. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo uses a ballcap...

8. tp

tp TS Member

The rain gear designed for golfers works well for shooting. They are designed to allow arm and shoulder movement without restriction. Of course, one of the old timers in our club just cut arm and neck holes in a black plastic garbage bag and it worked well for him.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Stearn's gear from Walmart...jacket is less than $30.00...

Curt

10. butcher

butcher Member

KOOL DRI ALL THE WAY. ITRAIN DOGS EVERYDAY AND MOST RAIN GEAR ISN'T WORTH CARRYING HOME.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Let me check the label on mine......HEFTY....Three Ply!

Raingear is a personal preference and it takes a little time to find something that fits YOU. One brand or style may work for one person and not for another. Going a size larger isn't a bad idea. I like the Harley Davidson line, but it's more money than I'd want to spend just to keep dry. I'd be more worried about my gun than I would be about myself. Best idea is to try on a few sets and see what you prefer. Make the movements you think you need to be sure it won't restrict you when shooting. It's basically the same as buiying a shooting vest or jacket. Hopefully, something made for shooters would be designed with shooting in mind.

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Bill,

I was at that same shoot dealing with the same problem as you and hundreds of others both Friday and Saturday.

Some observations: Many shooters scratched to protect their averages. Not me, hence mine suffered!

Frog Toggs suck. Probably great for frogs, but not for mounting and shooting your trap gun in a down pour (sideways at that).

Keeping glasses dry, (well sort of anyway), was impossible. I finally took the damn things off. A friend said, "They could disqualify you". I said, "Hell, they'd be doing me a favor". (Plus I could have gone up on the porch and drank coffee with the rest of the smart people).

Do NOT adjust your gun. It's not the problem.

Do NOT play options. It's not the answer.

Otherwise, enjoy!

Jon Reitz

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

John Storm is who you want to contact.

I have a seldom worn XXX coat and pants, Forest Green, I will sell for $200 + postage.

(Since loosing 50# the suit is a little large for me.)

14. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

When shooting in the rain I would advise doing whatever you can to keep your glasses dry, or as dry as possible. Don't overdress for the expected weather, your score will suffer.

Tom Strunk

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Golf jacket-cheaper with all the necessities.

16. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I deliver mail for a living, and for a few extra dollars to shoot trap. I am outside for some 250 days per year - in every type of weather known to man and beast.

TRUST ME - whe it rains like it did at Elysburg during the Westy Hogan Tournament, you are going to get wet. Pure & simple..........

There are any number of raingear options, from the plastic trash bag to "whatever you care to spend" because the brand name warrants. You are still gonna' get wet ! The only variable is the "degree" to which you take on water.

It's no different than all of the many boot manufacturers who use the Goretex membrane, thinking that gives them to right to claim their products are "waterproof". At an outdoor show one year, I went to the W.R. Gore display - where they had a boot submersed in a tank of water, with some sort of mechanical device inside the boot to simulate walking.

I (politely) told them that they were full of $hit ; that I wore boots with their membrane inside - and still got wet feet, when walking in WET grass fields on rainy days. Naturally - they denied that this phenomenon was possible.

So - again politely, I made them a wager : I told the man, "I'll bet you the KEY TO THE FRONT DOOR OF YOUR COMPANY BUSINESS that I can wear your product, and still get wet feet". He turned to the next "shopper" in line.............

Does raingear help ? Certainly - it does. Will it keep you "bone DRY" ; for extended periods of time ; in driving rains ? Don't count on it..........

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Somebody wrote this - "Frogg Toggs has lousy customer service (know-it-all-yuppies)."

THAT HAS NOT BEEN MY EXPERIENCE!

I spoke with a very pleasant lady that treated me more than fairly after I was rolled and mugged by Bass Pro Shops. Bass Pro should have stood by their ad. They just said they used wrong picture. Tuff Darts. Froggs Toggs ate the expense of Bass Pro's fraud and send me the item pictured.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.