1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rain Suit Opinions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EXFDX, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

What would you recommend for a warm weather rain suit? Top and bottom combo. It needs to breathe because I would probably be using it in pretty warm weather (think Southern Zone!) I've got some sort of thing now from Bass Pro, but it seems to be shredding where the gun comes into contact with the material.

What do you recommend, and from where?

Thanks.

Doc

2. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Frog Toggs work really well in warm weather and they're only about 60 bucks.

Cheers,

George

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Places like Bass Pro, Scheels and Cabelas all have good light weight rain suits. They carry Frogg Toggs and other name brands also.

I have a pair from Scheels that have the Scheels brand name that are good. Another good place to look is where golfers buy theirs.

Bill

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Never used one...they make me more uncomfortable than being wet does. Wear the right fabric and you'll dry in no time if it quits raining and you won't get any wetter of it doesn't. Golf rain gloves are a help; they only get grippy when they get wet. A good flats fishing hat with a big visor keeps the rain off my glasses; that's all I need.

MK

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

When I wear my Frogg Toggs in warm weather, it's the clammy feeling on my bare arms and the collar around my throat that annoys. Last year Frogg Toggs bought Dri Ducks and there were a lot of Dri Ducks suits available really cheap. So I bought a set of those and cut off the hood/collar and the sleeves above the elbow. Much more comfortable in warm weather that way.

I don't wear the pants in warm weather. Shorts and sandals for me in warm weather. Wet feet in sandals is much more comfortable for me than wet feet in wet shoes.

If it's cool enough for long-sleeves and long-pants, I wear my regular Frogg Toggs.

BTW - I wear a vest over the rain-gear.

6. leadvail

leadvail Member

One of my favorites I have seen.
    [​IMG]

7. leadvail

leadvail Member

One that I have seen on skeet fields alot.
    [​IMG]

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I used to wear my storm jacket and pants over my clothes in the rain, but if it's warm outside then I sweat enough for it not to make any difference. What I do now is just wear the storm pants over shorts, and I wear a pair of wellies under the pants (rubber boots). then I keep an extra tee shirt in the car to change into afterward.

Since this year I just started shooting with a vest, I think the vest is gonna get wet...

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Another vote for Frogg Toggs

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Check out golf rain suits. They tend to be designed to allow maximum comfort and movement.
    I'm not familiar with Frog Toggs but agree that you need something that 'breathes'. Maybe something with "Gore-Tex".

If you are in Florida or Arizona (hot weather locales), I'd go to a few golf shops and check around. There are several brands out there - FootJoy, Nike, Sun Mountain etc.

If you have a Golfsmith store nearby, try there.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I got a valuable lesson in shooting in the rain one year in San Antonio at the Southwestern Grand.

I was on an early squad of handicap and as the final singles squads were finishing I drove down to the middle banks where I was going to be shooting. As I got down there it was raining pretty steady, and within the next 10 minutes turned into a downpour.

On the field in front of me was a group of All-American's, with Leo being one of them. Leo was wearing his usual rain gear - blue jeans with tennis shoes and a t-shirt and a ball cap. To watch him shoot you would have never known it was raining. He didn't rush, he didn't fiddle with a towel trying to keep his gun or action covered. He wiped his glasses between posts and that was about it. They were on the 3rd field when I got there, and when they were done he slowly walked back to his golf cart and drove to the next field.

I know he had to change clothes after the round because he was completely soaked, but otherwise it didn't appear to me that he changed a thing due to the rain.

Scott

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Don't shoot in the rain---No need for rain suit---

13. Bama73

Bama73 Member

One more vote for Frogg Toggs. Will Fowler who owns the company is as nice, genuine, and generous a guy as you will ever meet. He is also an avid hunter and fisherman and always treats folks the right way.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Link for good rain suits above. Those good tour golfers have to have the best, you know. I have always wanted one, maybe this year.

HM

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

So what does Leo do when shooting in the rain at 40 degrees?

16. Unknown1

Nobody with more sense than a turnip does THAT!!

This is a game, remember?

MK

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The most important thing in the rain is to have a small piece of water absorbent chamois 3-4"sq. to wipe down your glasses. I tried shooting in Frogg Toggs, the clammy feeling really sux.

Phil Berkowitz

18. Unknown1

That "Sham Whoopy" stuff from Germany works well for glasses.

MK

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

my rain suit is a 2007 silverado.

20. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I love my Frogg Toggs

i_shoot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.