1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rain Gear

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by seymore/82, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

Okay, Just got home from the Missouri State Shoot and boy did it rain. I believe the rain total for the week could push 10 inches. How many of you die hards shot in the rain wearing "Storm" rain gear. I can say that for a fact that it looks and feels good but will not even come close to keeping you dry. For what we pay for this outfit it should do more than look and feel good. The pants seem to do the job but the coat, well, better off leaving it in the closet. Ive been told the seams leak and need to be treated, after as wet that I got thru out the week I have my doubts about the rain protection that this custom made outfit provides. Danny

2. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I have two Storms. Great looking jacket. Rain proof...not a chance. When it rains you get wet.

Matt Ski

3. dugout

dugout TS Member

Frogg Toggs Bull Frogg Suit. Comfortable, economical, and relatively dry.

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I shot in the same rain with my Cabela's rain pants & jacket & stayed dry. How can they call something a rain suit if it doesn't keep you dry?

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Danny, we have gotten 10 inches in one day many times down here. I got 2 words for you to remember, "Froggs Toggs". Nuff said. Break-em all. Jeff

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Learned a long time ago, far away, that I am usually more uncomfortable wearing rain gear trying to stay dry than just getting wet, so that's what I do... get wet.

It's less of a pain to dry out afterward than to wear layers of clothing and getting hot and damp anyway in the process.

I wear a broad brimmed hat to keep the rain off my glasses and golfer's rain gloves that get tacky when they're wet; that's all I need.

MK

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Ubknown1 - "Learned a long time ago, far away, that I am usually more uncomfortable wearing rain gear trying to stay dry than just getting wet, so that's what I do... get wet."

That's fine when the temperature is 80 degrees. How's it work when the temperature is 40 degrees?

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Best rain gear---stay out of the rain---I won't shoot in the rain or play golf in the rain---Tomorrow is another day---sjb

9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

John Storm doesn't say it is Rain Proof "Rain Resistant"

10. BudLight

BudLight Member

Check out Red Ledge.They wear it on "The Deadliest Catch". Thunderlight is about $40.00 for jacket and $30.00 for pants if you check around on line. Ron

11. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Frog Toggs with a vest over the jacket. So cheap; so good.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"That's fine when the temperature is 80 degrees. How's it work when the temperature is 40 degrees?"</I></blockquote>

Since I have the choice and nothing to prove any more, I have no reason to shoot when it's 40 deg and raining.

MK

13. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

seymore/82,

I ran into the same problem during the Southwestern Grand in San Antonio this past April. I have a C&J (Craig and Janet) jacket that I really like a lot and it HAD been pretty much water-proof before, but must have lost it's repellency (sp?). I also saw a shooter on my squad with a red Storm jacket and his was in the same shape as mine. I think we would have been better off just shooting in our shirts with NO jacket. Mine must of weighed an extra 5 pounds after shooting. I researched a little and did a lot of investigation and came across a couple of really good points, but most people directed me toward a product call "Camp Dry" by Kiwi (13% silicone) and I bought 2 cans for around $6.99 or so a can and applied it to my C&J jacket (just like a Storm coat) and let it dry and then re-applied another coat of it later. I also used the remnants on each can to coat 2 or 3 of my favorite shooting caps. The product is really made for tents and canvas products, but I heard lots of people using it for this very situation.

Just my $0.02 worth,
    Mike* (MH*)

14. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I have had good luck with light weight Gore Tex. Not cheap but keeps you dry.Currently using LL Bean version which I have had for about 10 years.

Jim

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Unknown1 - You may turn me into a trapshooter. In skeet if you don't shoot because of the rain you generally don't get your entry fee back. And if you don't enter the event, you generally loose the substantial deposit fee associated with the presquading that is normally required for skeet shoots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.