1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rain Affects Pattern?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Barry Turner, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry Turner

Barry Turner TS Member

We had a steady downpour today while shooting from the 27 yd line. Is a steady downpour likely to increase the rate of your pattern's dispersion?

2. grammie

grammie TS Member

Instead of giving you "neil" type technical anwser-----Let me ask you,,,,How good was the long yardage competition there?? any state team members?? zone winners??,,any champion shooters??? What was the winning score??? Was the winning score under a 96??? Was the winner a short yardage shooter??

In those questions lay your anwser....

AKA Grammie..........

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

,,,grasshopper.

Neil

4. grammie

grammie TS Member

Neil:

If a side wind of 17mph moves a shot string 4 inches over a distance of 40 yds,,,for the sake of argument,,lets say a "steady downpour" is a spring time deluge that begins to puddle quickly,,,what degree of downward "shear" would that produce on a "rising" target????

AKA Grammie....

5. Neil Winston

Since the "if" isn't true*, grammie, I suppose the question cannot be answered.

Neil

* It's three or four times that, at least.

6. Barry Turner

Barry Turner TS Member

Neil,let me make sure I interpret your comment correctly. The shot string/POI might be lowered 12 to 16 inches by the force of the downpour vs a no rain/no wind condition at long yardage. Yikes...that explains the low scores.

7. Neil Winston

No, no, no! All I said was that grammie's 4-inch estimate for a 17 MPH wind drift was so wrong that anything else based on it would be meaningless.

Neil

8. swixination

swixination TS Member

You think about this way too much. I bet you the person who won the event in these conditions didn't even notice it was downpouring. It obviously wasn't Neil. :)

DP

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I've shot in an absolute deluge in Sporting, Dr Jones' swatter couldn't have moved 3 inches and not been a sheet of water against it. Raining so hard that targets thrown at 35-40 yards were extremely difficult to see-----and silly us, were having a great time. Dangerous, yes, you don't know the half of it.

4 on the squad and each of us watching closely as all were having trouble seeing, but each of us could see the ejecta bore a hole thru the rain to the targets-----no doubt as to whether the shooter was in front/behind or whereever. We came to the conclusion that at those distances, the rain may have slowed the shot down more than normal but it did not affect the pattern or create more drop on the pellets.

I shoot an I/M at everything, it was like a piece of clear plastic pipe had been lasered from the muzzle to the target, then disappeared. Was actually a memorable experience.

10. Barry Turner

Barry Turner TS Member

Dr Jones and Texas Ton...thanks for the insights. Neil, thanks for the clarification. I was in the process of adding more spacers for tomorrow's event. We are predicted to have fairly heavy rain again. I will keep the original comb set up and try and see the targets better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.