1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rage Broadheads

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

This if for all you bowhunters out there. Have any of you had any experience using Rage Broadheads. If so what did you think?

2. scorpman

scorpman Member

I know a few guys who use and like them. Personally, I don't trust mechanical heads. I use Muzzy 4-blade heads and they never fail. No moving parts.

3. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I never used the Rage, but have heard good things about them from my bow hunting friends. I use N.A.P. 3 blade, 100 gr. Spitfire mechanicals. Over the past years, 14 deer in a row have expired within 40 yards of the shot. Complete pass thrus on every shot 30 yards and under, with a blood trail Ray Charles could follow. No need for me to try anything new.

4. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I used Spitfires before. Had bad luck with them one time, I shot a huge 8 point at a steep angle and the arrow deflected down. Needless to say I never recovered the deer, the neighbor shot him during gun season and the arrow only penetrated about 3 inches in the shoulder. The shot was only about 15 yards too. I did get to see the deer up close though, he was huge, too bad I didn't get him but that's the way things happen some times. I also know a lot of people who have a lot of luck with spitfires but after that one time I just can't seem to bring my self to use them. That's why I'm a littel hesitant to use the Rage, another mechanical broadhead.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I've sold a ton of them but had very little feed back from customers. I will not use mechanicals myself as I've had bad luck with them. I've lost two deer using them and lost none with fixed blades. Jackie B.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use nothing but Rage three-blade mechanical broadheads with my Parker Terminator crossbow. I shot at three deer last fall and all three deer dropped within 30 yards. One was shot almost head-on, the only shot I could get in heavy cover, from the ground at 35 yards. The arrow hit the front of the deer's left shoulder, veered into the opposite shoulder and vitals and never exited. We found the carbon fiber arrow broken into two pieces inside the carcass and one of the broadhead's blades was bent. The other two deer were shot from a ladder stand and both arrows exited under the deer into the ground in what looked like a pink cloud.

Because the Rage's blades deploy in the opposite direction of most mechanicals, they cannot open during the launch, even from a crossbow that launches the arrow at 320fps. And as Rage advertises, they fly like a field tip. I sighted my bow in with field tips and the practice tip that comes with the Rages - it is shaped like the broadheads but is blue and isn't functional. My son was skeptical, so we shot three working broadheads and three field tips into a sand pit from 30 yards. Both tips shot to the same spot.

Obviously, I recommend them!

Ed

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have not tried them but my buddies swear by them. I've been using G5 Montec three blades and wish they cut bigger holes. Might try a three blade rage next week.

8. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

That arrow sue did alot of damage, took his whole innards out, LOL!!!!!!!!!

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

They leave an extreme wound channel if you hit the vitals. Not so great going through bone.

Rod

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Same thing I've heard. Most guys around here use fixed blades.

11. setool

setool Member

Nothing against the Rage, in fact I have never used them. But the main reason is, I have had nothing but TERRIBLE results with several other mechanicals...

I switched to Slick Trick 100's, and they are unreal !!!

Fly like field points, and issue a devasting hole. In fact, my Son, Nick, stuck one through a Caribou last year, and it made such an awesome impact on the bull ( a pope I may add), that both front quarters were so tore up, we decided to leave them for the wolves. Just my two cents worth.

Mark Schneider

12. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

I second the one piece machined Montecs... I used to use Thunderheads, but had a blade come out on impact... That can't happen with a one piece machined stainless broadhead...

LWL

13. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

The 2 blade Rage 100gr is my #1 selling broadhead. I am now using them but had to modify them a bit to keep them closed in the quiver and to not have then rattle open. If one blade partially opens, it will try to plane. As for penetration, it is fine on a medium to heavy weight hunting arrow for deer sized animals. Montec stainless is a super strong head, but are not sharp enough for my standards. The carbon steel montec is. Bill Hom B&K Archery Service Chico Ca.

14. lakecrisco

lakecrisco TS Member

The baddest broadhead ever made...period. I have killed 9 whitetails with the 100gr. two blade and they are unbelievable. My nephew killed two black bears in Canada with them and his guide almost didn't let him hunt with them because they were mechanical. After those two kills, the guide said he was switching to them. Just give them a shot. I was a die hard Muzzy man but the Rage is just a sick broadhead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.