1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raffle + M1 Garand + Raffle

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by locdoc, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

By making this a separate thread it can be brought back up without highjacking someone else's thread.

If you feel lucky.

My club, Peterborough Sportsman's Club, is holding a raffle for one. $ 10.00 per ticket and only 250 tics will be sold. Drawing date is May 16, 2010. My email info is above. The following is the history, etc. from our source.

The Winchester Sportsmen's Club was started in 1949. The actual club was started by a core group of WWII veterans who wanted a place to shoot. They came to an agreement with the ELMM Center in Winchester NH. The ELMM is the Ellen Lambert Murphy Center. This is a community center donated to the people of Winchester NH, by Governor Francis P. Murphy in honor of his mother, Ellen. A portion of the dirt filled foundation was dug out by hand by the veterans and turned into a 4 lane shooting range. It had been in continuous operation from 1949 to 2006. As was the custom of the day, a long term agreement was made, for a modest rental fee of less than $30 year, in perpetuity, but not well documented. The indoor range was used by small-bore rifle shooters as well as pistol shooters. M1 Garands were shot in a local sandpit, at the famous 1000 inch targets. The club enjoyed many years with membership approaching 70. Countless people were trained in NRA hunter safety, and many teenagers learned rifle skills that they would later use in the military, from Vietnam to Afghanistan. Over the years, fear of firearms and local politics made it increasingly difficult to operate the range and satisfy the "management". Finally the club was told to vacate the range in the summer of 2006. As part of the legal process of dissolving the corporation, the board of directors of the Winchester Sportsmen's club has voted to donate (1) M1 Garand each to the Peterborough Sportsmen's Club, the Putney Gun Club, and Cheshire County Fish and Game Club. The reason for donation is to run a raffle and raise more money than the actual value of the rifle. The funds are then to be used for range improvement at the various clubs.

Provenance- In the mid 1950's the Winchester Sportsmen's Club was loaned (4) M1 Garand rifles through the DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship). This was the follow on of the original "The National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice (NBPRP)", which was originally started by then President Teddy Roosevelt in 1903. As a direct result of seeing firsthand, the extremely poor riflery exhibited by the American soldier during the Spanish American War, Roosevelt had a long range plan to improve this basic skill. This included training the average American citizen in marksmanship during peacetime by promoting and supporting shooting clubs and competitions. The National Matches currently held at Camp Perry Ohio is a good example. Many surplus rifles were made available to affiliated clubs. In the early 1990's a plan to "privatize" the DCM into a civilian run enterprise was put forth. It was an attempt at "downsizing" government. The result is what we know of today as the CMP, the Civilian Marksmanship Program. During the transition, the loaned rifles were offered for sale to all the clubs who had them in their possession. The other option was to turn them back in to the CMP. The Winchester Sportsmen voted, and sent a check to the treasurer of the United States and took ownership of the rifles. These particular rifles are from the Springfield Armory, and were originally manufactured in June of '42, Feb '43, Dec '43 and Jan '44. As part of a Government rebuild program, they were Arsenal rebuilt by the Springfield Armory in 1951. On the operating rod side of the barrel, with the op rod back, you will see "S-A x x-1951". xx = month. These rifles were not used at all in the 70's 80's and '90s. One was recently used in the NH State Garand Match, placing in the top 3. Written by Neil R. Jeneral, President of the Winchester Sportsmen's Club, 1996-2010, (member since 1980) 3/27/2010

Several tickets sold already over this forum.

TIA for your interest.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Would you Pm me with you address and other pertinent info so I can get one from you? Thanks, Bulge.

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

PM sent. Thanks, Bulge.

Doug

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I sent a check and locdoc got the tickets to me right away. Thank you! I am looking forward to see who wins.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Nice Post, Great rifle

Condense Ticket order info to make it easy to purchase.

6. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

The following is the response I have sent to all who have asked about the raffle. It just saved me a lot of typing. If I did each one separately I would have "hunt 'n pecked" myself to death. :-}

Hi ______ ,

Thank you in advance for your interest in our raffle for the Garand.

Send $10.00 per ticket to;

Peterborough Sportsman's Club

PO Box 3113

Peterborough, NH 03458

Let me know how you want the ticket filled out. I'll enter that info and
    return the stub to you at the address you list.

Please include a copy of this email. I am the club treasurer but not the
    only one who picks up the mail.

Thanks again for your help and good luck.

Regards,

Doug Whiton

47 Pleasant St.

Antrim, NH 03440

603-588-4010

603-533-5862 cell

7. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

0   0   0

Locdoc,

Please PM myself, I would like 3 tickets.

Primedust
    Mark Stevens

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

Mailing check along with a SASE today.

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

All messages, both PM's and emails have been answered. Thank you all.

Doug

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Doug, check went out in todays mail. I also bought one for a friend. Bulge.

11. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

Thank you both. The response has been great.

Doug

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Mine is on the way.

CMP has 190 rnd spam cans of AP 06' on sale for $60 plus $8 shipping.

Buy em cheap stack em deep.

13. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

t t t

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Any word on the Lucky winner?

15. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

16. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

I would like to thank all that participated.

All 250 tickets were sold. Almost 10% of the tickets were sold to TS dot comers. I even had to send a request for two more back to a gentleman in TN due to the fact that we were sold out.

The winner, Eric Latti, is a club member.

If Eric, for some reason, had not been able to, or had not wanted to take the transfer then the next in line was Todd Cherry from CA. We always draw a second ticket on the gun raffles in the event the first choice is barred or for some reason does not want to take possesion. It happened once. That's why we do it that way.

Regards to all,

Doug Whiton, Treas.

Peterborough Sportsman's Club

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Thanks for the update. I hope Mr. Latti enjoys his rifle. Good Luck to yoour club, and if you have any more raffles, post them here.

18. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

Just a further comment with regards to Leo's suggestion to post raffles here on TS.

Peterborough acquired a second M1 from The Winchester, NH club and our plan is to offer it up as a raffle prize next year about this same time. It coincides with our club members' flea market which has been historically held in May.

It represents a great piece of American history.

Thanks again.

Doug Whiton, PSC Treas.