1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

radar gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangn7, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Our trap club is looking to purchase a radar gun. What are you using? Do you like it. What would you purchase and why. If you have approximate costs please include. Thank you Mark Peterson

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

We bought the middle priced gun (SR 3600) that Bob Schultz sells (see the link above). You have to use it at the trap house, but there is no need to check the speed once it is set. We had a machine breakdown and after it was fixed, we checked the speed and found that it was about 4 mph fast with the new part. It works very well and other folks that have had a look at it and used it have been very complimentary. Bill Malcolm

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Had a Bushnell and then got a Pro Speed from Bob Schultz. Waht a defference, it is so great to be able to stand at the 27 and spot check during an event. Both set speed but the Pro is a Pro. Jake

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

All of them will work well if you use them correctly. I believe the Pro Speed is the easiest to use and the most accurate, but it is also the most expensive.

Radar guns are like trap guns. Using one correctly is more important than the one you use. And, like a trap gun, you need to spend a little time at the range to learn how to use one correctly. Fortunately, a little reading and 20 minutes at the range will teach you how to use a radar gun . How to use a trap gun takes a little longer.

Pat Ireland

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

We bought the Busnell Speedster for about 80 bucks.

It works fine. been using it for 3 years now for our 4 traps.

Pull trigger, shoot a target and it gives you the speed.

All the way back to the 27 but why??? I check the speed when we set the traps.

Jeff

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Our club also has the Pro Speed. As was already mentioned, it is nice to be able to check targets during shooting from behind the line.

Tim

7. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

I use and sell the Decatur Prospeed that is talked about above. This is a great easy gun to use. With its high strength radar you can check speeds while shooting events just to make sure nothing crazy is happening to the targets. In addition, we have found you do not need to set the trap on straightaways to get correct readings. We are within .2MPH. The wide spread radar of the Prospeed is what sets it apart from the other less expensive radar guns. This radar can pick up a golf ball at roughly 1/2 mile.

Lastly, the batteries are the same used in the Black & Decker Versapak. It is costly, but the Prospeed is easy to use and you will never have to upgrade to anything else. Take a peek with the web address above.

We are currently including a hardside carrying case with each order, a $70.00+ value and free shipping. Email me with any questions you may have, remove the X's.

Thanks for looking.

Cory Kreith

[​IMG]

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Cory, if you repeat your test, you will find that the ProSpeed, a fine gun to be sure, reports a lower speed as the angle of the bird diverges from a straightaway. If the speed is X, the reported speed will be X times the cosine of the angle the bird is flying at. If the angle is zero degrees, it's cosine is 1 and the reading is correct. If the angle is 20 degrees, the cosine is about 0.94 so the gun will read about 6% slow which will cause you to throw the target 6% faster than you intend.

Neil

9. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thank you all. If we were to purchase one of the above radar guns what is the warrenty and also how is the service if a gun were to break down and need repairs?Thank you in advance. Mark Peterson

10. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

Mark,

The Prospeed is 1 full year on the gun and 2 years on the batteries. As for service, I personally haven't heard of anyone needing it, therefore, I cannot attest to anything.

Neil,

I certainly am not going to argue against any point you are making above. I do not hold a degree in physics and calculus. Maybe my Prospeed is special since I didn't see a 6% drop in any test I conducted. As I stated above, while utilizing the gun for nearly 30 minutes, the only alternative speeds we found while testing singles was a .2MPH increase.

I really didn't think anything about it since the rulebook states that it has to be +- .5MPH from 42MPH. Our fastest speed was 42.2. I even tested the Prospeed with the test bar prior to using. I cannot say why my Prospeed didn't show a 6% speed increase.

Yours in sport,

Cory Kreith

11. Neil Winston

Put it this way, Cory, if you tell you customers that they don't have to clock straight-aways and angles are fine to you are going to get them all back as defective.

It's got nothing to do with brands of radar guns. They all report (when measuring targets) how fast the distance between the gun and the target is changing. When the bird is flying straight out, that distance is changing as fast as the bird is flying. (Well, not quite, even the 42 MPH you read is slower than it's really going because height works just like horizontal angles, but for simplicity let's overlook that in this discussion.) But when it's not flying straight out, though the travel-through-the-air of the bird remains the same, call it 42 MPH, the birds is not getting away as fast. So the gun's reading is (correctly) slower; it's reading the "getting away" speed.

I think you ought to do the test again. Stop the oscillation of the trap, measure a few targets, move somewhere else where the angle is different and measure more targets. You will see what I'm talking about.

Neil

12. washandwear

washandwear Member

Neil

Give me an estimate. Assuming the prospeed is calibrated correctly and recorded straight away speed is 42mph. What would a hard right recorded speed be given no other change?

Regards

13. Neil Winston

It depends on where you stand of course, W&W, but say you are on post 3 and you get a the maximum right-hander. A 42 MPH bird will read 39.5. If you then crank it up to read 42 mph, you've added about three yards in target -flight which you didn't intend to.

That's a calculated figure; if you do it in "real life" it's about that as well.

Neil

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neils comments apply to all radar guns. There is a cosign error if the bird is moving across the radar beam. Also, the speed that a trap throws different targets can, and usually do, vary 0.1 to 0.3 MPH.

The cosign error can be very important at times. When your automobile speed is measured by a traffic control officer, you are actually going a little faster than his recorded speed unless he is directly in front or behind you.

Pat Ireland

15. washandwear

washandwear Member

Neil

Thank you. When I practice and check the targets I don't always take the time to set trap to manual. A 2.5 mph spread across the spectrum of angles is good to know so I can judge close to 42+ without taking time setting for "perfect speed".

W&W

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pat

Its cosine

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Timb99, You're not picking on Pat for that and going to let washandwear off the hook for assuming +/- 2.5 mph is close enough. I hope he doesn't spend the big bucks for the radar gun. LOL, Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Timb99- I really need to learn how to proof read my posts before I hit submit. I have no idea how I made the spelling error but my Trig teacher would not be pleased with me.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

radar gun trap