1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Radar gun ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

We received a update to the rule book explaining target speed. Targets at 16 yds. are to be 42 min. 43 max MPH. My question is, if we are shooting registered ATA targets and we set the targets with our gun. After a squad finishes a guy comes to us with his own gun and proves the targets were 2 miles an hour over or under those legal ATA dictated speeds and demands his money back as the targets were not according to the rule book. Would the club be required to give him his money back? If not what is the point of having a rule that is so precise on speed.

I know someone is going to say that is just a round about speed number, but the book dose not say that it is to be 42 to 43 MPH. What about wind? Thanks

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You shoot at 'em, they're yours.

John C. Saubak

3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Ask him if his gun was certified accurate? He he shoot bad? Sounds like a PITA type of guy. Old Cowboy is right.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

John is correct, once you shoot at the targets, its history. I bet if he ran em he would keep quiet

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

We've tried to make this toooo technical. Agreeing that the 42 to 43 is ok in still air, it should go to the stake in those conditions. However, it is very seldom that we shoot in still air. In some conditions in order to get the target to the stake it might take a different speed out of the house than what we have determined to be a perfect speed in no wind conditions. I really feel that as long as we have a target that is good to see and flies the correct path as far as distance and height are concerned, we shouldn't worry so much about what the actual speed of the target is. We are shooting at what we see and the best bet is to see a target that is the same in all conditions. This is nearly an impossible task, but as close as we can get is fine with me. I dont care what the speed out of the house is, as long as at about 30 to 35 yards out it looks the same as targets thrown at other times and other places.

6. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Now I ask, what if a club has no radar gun ???

Set the targets to the bar and stake.

Some people will get too technical over all this new fangled stuff, and want to make an issue..What happens when the wind is in their face and the target goes sky high, does he not shoot and keep calling until he gets a "Legal" height target ???

Barney, I guess if someone gives you a hard time, if your targets were as good as you could get, just ask them not to come back...He won't be missed anyway.

I'm getting too old and cranky for these types.

Dave in SC

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Flalagrato has it 100% right and for the right reasons. I've seen the same! Bruce

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

$8000 Pat Trap but they can't afford a radar gun to set it properly???

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Thanks FlaLagarto,

I'll look that up !!!

I'm not against it at all. A friend from up north used to set the targets with his gun for some great shoots in NY, and that did a fine job.

I just think that if a lot of guys have their own and start complaining, that this could get out of hand...

Dave

Dave

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I just went to the ATA website and read the new rule, I like it!

One question; why the 2mph difference between High vs Low powered guns on the speed of the right target in doubles? Should I assume it's because with the high powered gun you stand on post 3 on the 16 yd line....thus more of angle to the target's flight than you'd have from just behind the traphouse with a low powered gun??

John C. Saubak