1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Radar Gun Calibration

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Was reading Dave Kaiser's column "House Rules" in the June issue of T & F on target setting (great read BTW, should be required reading for everyone before they're allowed to even TOUCH the trap).

Question; say's "Radar guns must be checked for calibration, and the check is simple and can be done in the field"..........how do you do this simple field check for calibration? My radar gun is one of those low powered models, called something like "Sports Radar 3600" as I recall without looking?

John C. Saubak

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi John

Calibration forks are available with the high powered guns. I tested my Bushnell low powered with a friends fork and it checked okay. So you
    can buy one or borrow one.

Here is a link to one I found:

http://www.usalifestyle.net/theproducts.cfm?master=706&owner=651&kw=SR_3600_Tuning_Fork_fr&cid=163

Regards

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

John,

Bring it to the Mt State Shoot. I have a tuning fork in my speed gun kit.

See ya there......Rickyd

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just how does the tuning fork work with the radar gun? I know what the fork is but havent seen it used to tune the gun.

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

You rap the fork on a hard surface and hold it in front of the radar. The vibrating fork gives off a predetermined reading that should show in the window of the gun. If the gun shows a different reading it needs to be recalibrated.

6. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

This is the same way Police check there radar guns before each shift. It holds up in court. Allen

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank's Rick, I'll bring it along with me to Helena then..... flying over there thursday to shoot Fri, Sat & Sun.

John C. Saubak

8. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Just take your radar gun with you for a fast drive in a slow neighborhood. Then ask the nice officer to borrow his tuning forks when he stops you! Depending on the brand and model, some of the police radars use one fork at or near 40 mph. I'm sure you could buy a fork from one of the Police radar manufacturers if you really wanted one.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've had a number of guns and never had one fail the tuning fork test. Has anyone?

Neil

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Neil, Have you ever had your tuning fork certified?

11. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neil, I've had my Juggs radar gun since 1998, when my son was a high school pitcher. Started using it on trap targets 4 years ago, has never failed the tuning fork test in the 10 years I've been testing it. I test it before every use. Harv Shell

12. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Take your radar gun and point it at a fluerescent light bulb ( 4 footer or 8 ) about 1 inches from it. Don