1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RAD Settings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I am looking for advice from shooters who have a RAD recoil system on their gun. I just had one installed on my Beretta 682. The settings range from 0 to 9. ( 0 being the heavier setting and 9 being the lightest) The instructions note that you should not set it too light. I tried it today and it was set at 2. Although I did notice some improvement in recoil reduction; I feel the setting needs to be "tweaked" to suit my load. I shoot a mild 1 oz. load. So, I feel the setting should be set lighter. I removed the system and changed the setting to 4. (I won't be able to test this adjustment until Tuesday). Hopefully this will show some more progress. It seems to me if you shoot the heavier 1 1/8 oz loads you probably should have the setting set at maybe 2 or 3. However the lighter loads would probably benefit from a lighter setting. (Maybe 4 to 6). Anyone out there shoot 1 oz loads using the RAD? If so what setting do you use? Thanks for the help. Ed

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have found that the best setting for my gun and shells and shooting style is 3.5

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, 3.5 is what I have settled on for both 1 and 1 1/8 oz. 1180 fps loads. I started at 5, went to 7.5 then to 3.5 which seems to work best. Regards, Ed

4. esoxhunter

threedeuces: What load do you use with the 3.5 setting? 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz? Thanks. Ed

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Should have noted that my basic RAD is on a Browning XT 32" which weighs slightly over 9 lbs. Ed

6. esoxhunter

Thanks for the input Ed. My 682 probably weighs at least that if not a little more. This system is new to me and any fellow shooter that can supply me with information; it would be appreciated. It seems that it takes a little time "in dialing it in". I can see that if one loads on the "light side" , especially 1 oz loads; the system would have to be set on one of the higher numbers. Like I said, I tried the #2 setting today. Hopefully Tuesday I will evaluate the #4 setting and maybe I might have to set it on #5 or 6. I can understand that when I shoot handicap loads the setting has to be set lower. I guess I will just have to experiment. Ed

7. Kimball

Kimball TS Member

Send a message to Rod Stumbo of Rod' Custom Gunstocks who is an advertiser on this board and also a great installer of RAD systems.

Dick

8. rsikole

rsikole Member

I bought my RAD from Rod Stumbo and had him install it on my KX-5. I believe he recommended settings 0, 1, or 2. He set mine at 2. 2 3/4 dram shells generally don't activate it. Maybe 1/2 of the 3 dram shells that I shoot activate it. I shoot both factory loads and reloads.

Rob

9. esoxhunter

I also had Rod install mine. It was set at 2. Like I said, I would think if one uses light loads it might be more advantageous to try the higher numbers. Ed

10. tj303

tj303 Member

I was taught to set my RAD to the softest setting that would not bottom out with the load I use.

11. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Rod did mine as well. It is set at 2. I shoot 1200 fps 1 oz loads and 1175 fps 1 1/8th oz loads. I do not like to feel the unit compress, particularly on doubles. At 2 it takes the edge off the recoil, which is perfect for me.

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.