1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Racoons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by funski, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funski

funski Member

I've got raccoons under my deck ( mom and 4 babies) Is there anything I can spray etc. to get them out. Killing them is not an option- just like them to move out. Thanks in advance Jim

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Moth balls. Just throw them under the deck and let them smell them. They will not like it and leave.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

This may sound odd, but try a strobe light.

Apparently they (and most critters) cannot stand the flashing light (or is it the noise it makes charging and discharging the capacitors??).

I have a Coast Guard light designed to clip onto a life vest (uses one D cell) that works a treat.

4. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

If you do a search here on TS.com you will find a long, interesting thread of various opinions on how to rid yourself of raccoons. I think it is a year or so old.

It sounds to me like you're stuck with your unwanted guests, at least until the kits get big enough to be led away into the world by the mother. That should take a month or so. Once they vacate the premises, you'll need to install exclusionary barriers so that they won't return and repeat the process.

Whatever course of action you decide upon, do not kill the mother, the nursing kits will starve to death under your porch and the stench will not only make your porch unuseable, but the decaying animals will attract an abundance of insects and other carrion eating pests.

Patience and resolute observation sound like your best option. Good Luck.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Moth balls worked for me.

Hauxfan!

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Seems like you are going to have to catch an awful lot of moths!

7. goony

goony Active Member

Pepper spray. When I was a police officer years ago I received a call that some kids were playing with a raccoon in a dumpster. When I arrived the raccoon was in the bottom of an empty front loader dumpster and the kids were poking at it with a stick. I found a 8' long 2x4 that I put in the dumpster in an attempt to get the raccoon to exit the dumpster on his own. He wouldn't leave so I sprayed some pepper spray inside the dumpster and he left rather quickly. It didn't hurt him but it was funny to watch him rubbing his eyes with his paws as he ran away.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Whack 'em all. They carry and spread disease.

9. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Have you ever smelled moth balls???

How did you get their little legs apart??

10. funski

funski Member

Thanks for the help-I've got moth balls, and have a strobe light. I will also try and find the old discussion sight. Jim

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What's wrong with racoons?

joekuhn_2008_03039.jpg

12. avery53

avery53 Member

Funny pic! lol

My Dad told of having a pet racoon years ago, probably in the 30's.

They would toss an onion in the yard and the coon would bat it around and pee on it, then leave it alone. Maybe onions would discourage the intruders?

avery

13. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

ammonia,works on anything. Jack

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you need a receipe for racoon stew? HMB

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

funski:

Your 'coon wrangling project is right up Earnie Brown, Jr's. alley. Brown, aka Turtleman is the 'star' of the Animal Planet's series Call of the Wildman.

If you're anywhere near Washington County, Kentucky - or willing to pay travel expenses - Earnie is your man.

sissy

16. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Whatever you do, don't seal up the hole with the babies in there. The mother will tear your house apart trying to get back in. Get a havahart trap, if the babies are big enough, you will catch them all and you can relocate them.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Could you send me one?...I need me a new Dan'l Boone cap for winter league shooting

18. funski

funski Member

RACOON UPDATE--As usual Trapshooters.com comes through again!! i took out some boards from my deck and spread the moth balls pretty heavily inside. I placed a strobe light at an entrance hole and for two mornings I found it in the middle of the yard. yesterday morning it was still under the deck blinking like crazy, this morning same thing.I'm just hoping ,but so far it looks pretty good. Thanks again for all the input. Jim

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I guess no new coon skin cap for me : (