1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Racisist comments and name calling ok, but

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't have any idea which post/thread or picture you are having issues with but I'd say if the mods yanked it, that's the final say. If you keep poking the moderators with a stick you will likely not be around anymore to worry about it.

Just Say'n.......

2. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

I would say that Rich has a valid point. perfectly legal firearm. Is it possible that someone thinks it is illegal and would get Dave's site in trouble with some Lettered agency?

3. 548

548 Guest

I saw the thread. It didn't do the anti gun control movement any favors. It was a picture of a compact assault rifle with a high capacity magazine along with some dialogue to the effect of kill them all or something like that. No reference to killing what, but the obvious implication to killing people since that is what the gun was designed for. Just plain in poor taste and something you wouldn't expect from yak.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I seen you post Yak,

Don't fret over it, even gun owners fall into the PC crowd when it comes to "Free Speech" And the real sad part of it all is there are "gun" owners who are/get "Paranoid" over "military" style firearms.

Its when you put your "words" into action that Can get you into trouble.

5. 548

548 Guest

Just remember, there is no such thing as free speech on this website. This website is owned and operated by a man who has and should have complete control over it's content.

If this was my trapshooting forum I would have removed it too.

Timber -- words have gotten plenty of people in trouble

6. bozwell

bozwell TS Member

My own $0.02, the problem isn't that they shut down your post Yak. The problem is that they DON'T shut down all of the racist remarks and general name-calling that pops up on this forum way more than other moderated firearms sites. Personally, I just assumed that this forum wasn't moderated at all, given the amount of angry, smack talking posts that pop up.

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Sticks and stones will break my bones.....but names will never hurt me!!!

This sentiment is reflected in/reflects the common law of civil assault, which holds that mere name-calling does not give rise to a cause of action, while putting someone in fear of physical violence does.

GS

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The Mods have their authority from the site owner. Do I always agree? No. But that doesn't mean squat.

Live with it or leave.

9. 548

548 Guest

Yak, I don't have a horse in this race. I'm just attempting to offer some insight from the perspective of a reader of your post.

On a side note, the posting of the picture was not the problem, surely you have the intelligence to know that. The problem was the dialogue. The origin or intent of the dialogue is of no importance.

On another side note, the picture was not of a pistol; it was a compact assault rifle. Nobody ever asserted that it was an unlawful firearm, but characterizing it as a pistol is just plain ridiculous.

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

You need to do a little more research on what is a "rifle" and what is a "pistol"

The ATF&E site will help you out.

First off, no butt stock and short barrel makes it a Pistol.

Just to be a nice guy, this will help you, maybe!

http://modernwarfare247.com/weapons/machine-pistols

Take a look if the ATF site scares you.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

In all fairness to the MODS...They realize like some here forget that big brother monitors all communication and web traffic for "key" words...things they home in on to scrutinize....just try using a little discretion..the "K" word on a shooting related website brings unwanted attention from those we'd be better off not become the focus of if you know what I mean...you didn't do anything wrong Yak..but these are strange times indeed..break'em all bro!

12. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Isn't this a trapshooting forum? How did you do on your last handicap event with that pistol? Does it shoot 7 1/2s or 8s?

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You can ask the mod in private Yak...it a judgement call on their part so ask but heed ..they are the referees here and in a disagreement you will lose everytime so best not the energy pressing the issue and getting ejected from the game

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I remember a stink about a writer who made negative comments about black guns having no place in the sporting world.

That got him into some crap.

HM

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

I saw the thread, and I suspect it was the Samuel Jackson film quote about "for when you absolutely, positively have to kill every m'f'er in the room," or something to that effect...combined with the picture of the gun.

Yak, I didn't think it was all that bad. The tough talk was in quotes, with appropriate letters deleted, so I think everybody should have "got" the fact that it was movie dialogue, fiction attributed to someone else.

But you have to realize that there are a lot of sensitive people here, who are not above calling up a Mod and saying, "this is inappropriate for children on a family-oriented site," and it will get canned without question, just for somebody saying it.

Don't take it personally. We're good with you. We've all gotten posts canned at one time or another.

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Calvin, from my experience, there is no use trying to talk to the mods in private, One a while back jumped on me and let me know right quick that it is his way or the hiway. No discussion room at all. Think some have their panties in a wad at times.

GneJ

17. 548

548 Guest

By the way, the thread has not been deleted. Look again. I just don't want to be the one to bring it back up to the top.

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

Yak,

That's their way of saying, "There's really nothing wrong with it...but it makes me kinda uncomfortable."

You learn these things.

19. 548

548 Guest

I see now. Thanks

20. bozwell

bozwell TS Member

Go figure. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.