1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

R3 Limbsaver pad is dissolving...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What the heck? My Remington R3 recoil pad (made by Limbsaver) is dissolving. It's cracking and little bits of 'rubber' are coming off. It's sticky in the area that's dissolving. And I know for sure nothing has been spilled on it, and no solvents or cleaners have been used on it.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would contact Limbsaver or Remington. Limbsaver sells a direct replacement for the R3, as does Remington. It would essentially be the same pad all over again. They may have a lifetime or other warranty that applies. There is contact info at the link I provided.

3. Brian in Oregon

Nope, no styrofoam. In fact, it's stored muzzle down in the safe, so the pad doesn't even touch anything. (The safe is jammed full with guns, it's the only way to get the last few in - that we should all have this problem, huh?)<br>
    <br>
    I hadn't thought about any kind of warranty. I'll contact Remington and ask them. I was just going to buy another, but I'd still like to know why it did this. Almost looks like there is a thin protective coating and maybe that wore through? I haven't shouldered it enough to do that, but it is on the side that would get the most wear if that was the case.

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I had the soles of a pair of hunting boots do that once. I had used a dressing of some kind on another pair of boots that I kept in the same cabinet and the volitiles that it gave off caused the soles of the other pair to literally disintigrate. That safe is a lot more air-tight than my cabinet.

Mike

5. tulsey

tulsey Member

I would suggest you contact Limbsaver directly. I had one of their slip on pads start becoming sticky like you described. They were very responsive and told me they had some bad raw material that caused the problem. They replaced the pad and the second one has had not problems.http://www.limbsaver.com/ Since the R-3 Remington goes through Remington they might steer you to them, but Sims would be a good starting point.

6. oldcop

oldcop Member

Eddie....an old gunsmith who taught me a lot of his tricks used to keep a can of STP additive on his bench just for that purpose. It never seemed to cause a pad to deteriorate. I'm just wondering if some sort of solvent caused Brian's pad to crash and burn.

Jim

7. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Brian, contact Marcie Rhoton at Simms. She is very knowledgeable about their products and she certainly will help you. Forget about Remington, if they did respond you might be to old to shoot anymore by the time they did anything for you. When I take pads off of my guns. I put a little bit of petrolium Jelly on the screwdriver to not mar the pad.
    Dan

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I got some breakfree on mine and it turned to jelly where it contacted.

9. crew

crew TS Member

There was a thread on here about a week ago asking about Limbsavers everyone said how good they were except me. I had one about 3 or 4 years old never used and stored in a box,I put in on and used it the second weekend in hot weather it got so soft and stickey it left a black spot on my shooting shirt I should have contacted the company but didn't Iam sure I didn't get anything on it,I also talked to another shooter who had the same problem. They are really solf pads and take out recoil, I just bought another one for a hunting gun so will see if it stands up.

10. Brian in Oregon

Devil'sAdvocate: "Maybe a stronger deodorant Brian."<br>
    <br>
    LOL, no doubt!<br>
    <br>
    There has been NO solvent used on this pad, not even for the screwdriver shank. I put it on dry. And because the buttstock is synthetic with a camo film, nothing but a damp cloth has been used on it. There is some sort of thin, harder coating over the pad, at least where it contacts the shoulder. I wonder if that wears through if the pad just falls apart? Maybe this coating was too thin on the edge?<br>
    <br>
    I give Marcie a call and see what she can do for me (1.877.257.2761) Thanks all for that suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
guns recoil pad deteriorate
limbsaver cracking
limbsaver dissolving
limbsaver pad getting sticky
limbsaver recoil pad turning to jelly
remington limbsaver getting sticky
sims limb saver recoil pad sticky forums

sims recoil pad coming apart