1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

R WE LOSING MORE SHOOTERS THAN WE ARE BRINGING IN?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have always heard that the future of the shooting sports was with junior shooters. i don't really know if this is actually the case. over the years i have seen numerous young shooters do very well, but as soon as their parents stoped paying for all facets of their shooting, they leave the sport. Through the years, i know of roughly 5 junior shooters that have stuck with the sport after their parents stopped paying for them. i don't think the young shooters suddenly decide that they don't like shooting anymore, but how many young people just starting out as a young adults can actually afford to shoot? i applaude the countless men and women who instruct youngsters in the shooting sports. they spend countless hours as they volenteer their time and energy. go to any shoot, and most of the people i see participating have grey hair. is there an answer in replenishing shooters that we lose for various reasons? i believe that the future of the shooting sports is attempting to get the 30 to 40 year old into this sport. financially, they are more established in their careers and could possibly afford the sport more than someone under 30. obviously, with the economy the way it is, alot of people regardless of age don't have extra income to play. does anyone have any opinions or possible solutions?
    steve balistreri

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At my club we run a youth night once a week for 10-18 year olds. Where we used to have about 40 kids come out every week, we now have maybe 15-20 show up. Disposable income money is tight is the reason given. Add to that is when the kids get their drivers license here at 16 and discover the opposite sex, trapshooting can't compete.

Eric

3. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Havre Montana, Last year we had 178 shooters for spring league. We started league on April 1 we have approx. 205 shooters already. We have lots of women and kids and young adults shooting. This is in a town of 10,000 and only 17,000 in a 50 mile square area. We are finding a lot of mothers shooting with their kids. The club gives the kids a break on targets. A lot of older shooters are more than willing to help new shooters learn safely and correctly the art of trap shooting. We have also joined with 4 other towns in the area, Choteau, Conrad, Shelby, Rudyard and Havre to start a summer league Called the Golden Triangle Trap league. There will be one shoot per month with each club hosting. The goal is to meet others and have fun shooting. Yes together we can make it happen. Mark Peterson

4. senior smoke

mark-very nice to hear some good news. after i got out of the army i went to the waukesha gun club to just look around. an elderly gentleman asked me if i wanted to try a round of trap? he paid for the round and gave me the shells too. i was hooked. a few weeks later he said i should save up and purchase a 870 tb. i said i would do that. the next week he came to the club with an 870 tb that he purchased from a private seller from the want ads. he let me use the gun while paying $20.00 per payday towards it's purchase. after i paid for the gun in full, he gave me a card with $165.00 in it. my wife and i just had a baby girl born, and he said that i should buy some diapers for my daughter, because i will need them. we became good friends, although this gentleman passed away years ago, i will always remember and appreciate his act of kindness. to this day, if i can afford it, i will often spring for shells and entry fee when a new shooter comes out to the club. i learned a valuable lesson from this man. it's a small way to possibly get new shooters in our sport.
    steve balistreri

5. Damifino

Damifino Member

My kid (12y/o) shoots ATA and really enjoys the sport. He is continuously hounded at school by the PC types, students and teachers, about the evil that is guns. I think that many kids who are interested just don't want to deal with the hassle.

Very sad. Few things can teach a kid dicipline better than having to shoot out the remaining 70 or 80 rounds of an event even though he's already missed enough to be out of the glory. Trap, unlike video games has no reset button. Neither does life.

6. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Mark - "finding a lot of mothers shooting with their kids" - where are the fathers? If they are single moms it might be a good way to bring some of the local men into the sport as well if the word gets spread there are single women at the range shooting.

7. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

It's important to give our kids the knowledge base of shooting when they are young before they go to college and get it beaten and programmed out of them by liberal professors, advisors and the like. When they get that first job, a little stability and live in a place where they can legally actually possess a firearm, they can jump right back in where they left off. It's much easier when the truths are learned early...

8. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

I brought my kids to our local trap club when their dad died, to give them something to do together that was outside and away from anything that plugged in. It was my first time in any gun club and I didn't even own (and didn't want!) a gun of any kind. I just thought it would be something interesting to try and wanted to give my kids a new experience.

Fast forward two years and I have three ATA competitive teenage shooters. I was so impressed with the program, the club and the benefits my kids were getting (including going from failing grades to A & B honor rolls) that I started shooting myself last summer. Liked the head coach so much I married him this past fall!

The future of trapshooting is passing on the love of the sport--child, adult, man, woman, those labels don't matter. But without the youth program at our club our sport would have four less ATA members in it, at a minimum. My kids may lose interest or have to curb their interest while at college or raising a family, but I believe the love of the sport instilled in them now will be revitalized when the time comes that they can focus again on their themselves.

9. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Dang ... I gotta start checking out the younguns shooting at the local club and see who brought them to the range.

10. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Well I love what I read.

Steve, It is true that we lose kids to adult life. All we can do is teach them the joy and happiness of trapshooting while they are young. They leave for 25 years to live life with thier families and return when disposable income comes back. It's just life! Thats all! I did it, we all did.

I teach trap shooting in Buffalo, MN. and we have youth shooting under the AIM format this year. (Last year SCTP) We also do ladies day, community events etc. along with leagues year round. Yes! even winter. The youths shoot, but also so do the parents. Often our club is busy with kids, moms and dads on week nights. I didn't used to be that way! Teach the youths, the mom's the dads. They spread the good word and clubs grow. Our club was ATA 2007 club of the year. A three trap club. But we threw 107,000 registered targets. We signed up over 70 new ATA shooters in two years. We expanded our horizons to surrounding clubs with Youth only registered shoots to show them how to enter and shoot in a registered venue.

All I can tell you is that you must keep active. The kids will come back! When they do, and they see you as the crumpled up guy in the corner, the memories will flood back. Then it is the time for your reward.

I commend you on paying for rounds of new shooters! I do it too. Nothing better is there! Steve keep up the good work, don't get discouraged! Hold special shoots, get noticed! I did with out trying. My local clubs nominated me for coach of the year last year without my knowledge. I won Co-Coach of the year along with a friend of mine Jim Sable from Plymouth, MN. I can tell you. It is so humbling to be honoured for something you just love to do. No reward was necessary. But it is appreciated.

Keep teaching, keep growing, and some day I will have a bunch of youths standing on a line somewhere and we will watch from a great vantage point together.

WAY TO GO HANGN7. NICE WORK! If everybody works together, and between each other as clubs, we will all go a long ways toward a fantastic organization.

Mark Stevens
    Prime dust
    2008 ATA co-coach of the year

11. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Hey CalamitySJ,

Thank you for bringing your kids to my club so I could teach them my sport and meet and marry you! Nothing like having a family of shooters!

Sometimes the simplest intentions start new and wonderful chapters in the game of life. It sure did for us!

Prime dust

12. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Yes, Coach, it certainly did.

Don't forget the milk, bread and 5 flats of shells on your way home, eh? Hahaha!

CalamitySJ

13. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Oh geez ... get a room already. ;-)

14. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Nothing says love like a fresh flat of Double As!

15. senior smoke

after reading these responses, i am convinced that shooters are some of the nicest and most gracious people in all of sport. i wish we could all bring a anti gunner to the gun club to show them the good shooters do for children and charities, etc. instead of bring your child to work day, we should have bring your anti gunner to the gun club day. i am honored to be in the same fraternity.
    steve balistreri

16. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Steve it was your turn this week to supply each of us in the fraternity with a case of shells, where are my shells?

17. senior smoke

Stu- as soon as i win the lottery i will send you a semi truck full of federaL PAPERS. I LOVE THOSE SHELLS.
    GOOD SHOOTING,
    STEVE

18. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

No need to win the lottery Steve I'll be happy with a pallet of Gun Clubs today instead of waiting.

19. Tedricka

Tedricka TS Member

My local adult school offered a class in trap shooting which is how I am now looking at websites about trapshooting as a 60 year old female. I have my father's 1959 Winchester Model 12. I did not even know how to load it before the class.

20. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

We need Jr shooters, but I think the sport's recruiting efforts should be centered on 30, 40, and 50 year olds, and especially women.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.