1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

R SHOOTERS EXPECTED TO MOVE THE SPEAKER?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    when shooting handicap, are shooters expected to move the speaker for the next shooter, should their handicap yardage be different then your own? if they don't move it, does it upset you, should you say something?

2nd question- another shooter on your squad calls for the target and a very small piece of the target chips off and the shooter smokes the target. the trap boy or girl doesn't say anything, would you stop the squad and say that was a broken target. i was on a squad years ago and this happened, the shooter was around 75 straight during a state shoot. when he got to reshoot the target you heard "LOST" world war lll erupted. the shooter told the guy on the squad who said something" you are not the puller, if the puller doesn't call it let it be. you just cost me a possible 100 straight" this happened on saturday during the state shoots 200 16 yd event. what do you think?

steve balistreri

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

In answer to Q1. Some like it when you move their microphone, others might be afraid that it won't be moved to the correct yardage causing problems. Best advice, let the shooter move it for themselves.

Q2. It's a "no target" and must be shot over regardless of the result. ATA rule: section 7E.

Eric

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Answer for question #1 I will not touch your speaker do not touch mine!

#2 It is a no target, however I choose NOT to become the puller in those cases.

GS

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I do move the speaker But I find most of the time the shooter to my left moves it again ? I don,t move the Speaker when on post five as the next shooter has the time as I walk to post one .

5. senior smoke

sportshot- first of all I thank all of you for responding to my thread. i usually do not move the speaker. years ago i had a woman get upset with me for moving it. to her way of thinking, i did it because she was a woman, that was not the case. i was just trying to be courteous. so i will usually let it be, unless i am in front of a wheelchair shooter or disabled shooter. i hate to admit it but on the other question i had, i will be the first person to speak up on a squad should i see a chip after the shooter shoots and the puller calls it a lost bird. but since that day when there was a big arguement on the squad over the chip off the target out of the house, i am kind of hesitant to say anything. rules are rules, so yes, i will say something. but i know if the shooter re shoots and misses, most likely there will be a problem. if you can't win by playing by the rules, maybe take up another sport. we police ourselfs in this sport. we should be proud of it.
    thanks,
    steve

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'm a lefty. I move the speaker. I don't have a strong call. I don't move it back. The shooter in front of me doesn't move it for me. We never have had a bird thrown when moving a speaker. This is like the toilet seat up or down debate. No clear answer. Dave T.

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

It does not matter whether the chip was from the target or out of the house. In either case it is a "No Target" and must be reshot.

8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I move it for the next person, just a polite thing to do. Our trap guys and girls are instructed to always turn off the mikes as the squad moves to prevent wasted birds and ditractions.

Easy: Must be shot over.
    Puller makes the call.

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I move the speaker most times because I am shooting with people I know but when I am not I leave it alone. The pullers at our club turn the speakers off when the big shuffle is going on so as not to waste birds its a simple flip of the switch. The number 2Q answer is it is no target deal with it.

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

Usually I will ask the shooter after me what they prefer. Some like it being moved and others don't. I really don't care one way or the other if the shooter in front of me moves the speaker for me as long as they don't set it on the wrong yardage.

The target was a bad bird and must be called. If the same shooter had missed that target you can be sure that same hell raiser would have been kissing the feet of the fellow who said it was a bad bird. A lot of the folks pulling at the shoots are very inexperienced and that is what some shooters try to take advantage of but like it or not that's why they are called RULES.

--- Chip King ---

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

It is polite to move the speaker to the person's yardage (though not a rule or a necessity). It is up to the moving shooter to verify that he/she is shooting at the correct yardage. It speeds up the readiness for the squad leader to call the next target. Most of the time it is not necessary to move it if you are moving from position 5 as you have the "long walk" to position #1. Just my opinion.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

12. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

I've never seen speakers on the trap line.

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Actually they are speakers but used as microphones as both are transducers.

Eric

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It is the scorers call and only the scorers call on the chip or broken bird whether it comes from the house or from the bird when shot. To many of you think you are the authority when the scorers is the sole authority unless over ridden by a line supervisor. He/she doesn't know you, so you could be helping a friend or hurting someone else by your call and please don't say it doesn't happen. Let the scorer do their job and you do yours, if you don't like the way they are doing it then wait until the 25 is over and then complain to both the scorer and the line supervisor.

Recently at a large shoot had a scorer who gave away 4 targets, losses that were not called. Told her afterwards to watch the targets better that she had missed 4. Reported it to shoot director and along with some other complaints she was removed. No fuss, no big argument and no they were not my targets.

Speaker stands, I don't move them. You never put it in the right spot anyway, so let the shooter put it where he wants it and he is walking right by it anyway.

Don

15. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Spot on Bigdon!!!! Bravo........

GS

16. senior smoke

Don- years ago at the Winchester gun club, we were shooting an ATA shoot and a 16 year old puller called a target lost. the squad stoped shooting and one of the guys said he saw a chip off the target. the kid said he did not see a chip, and he will mark it as a lost target. the shooter who shot at the target went into the club house and got the owner/mgr and complained that one of the shooters on the squad saw a chip and the puller would not change it. the owner talked to the kid, and the owner said lost target. despite an adult hounding this puller for the target, the kid stood his ground. susprising, the owner backed his puller. maybe it's me, but i find the ata rule book to be very confusing at times. i find it difficult sometimes to find something that i am looking for. once you think you found the answer, it seems if you read on it countradicts itself. years ago Vic Reinders was shooting at the Waukesha gun club. some young man was arguing a rule on the line with the puller. Vic stepped in and told him what the rule actually was. the guy said to Vic "who are you, that you know all the rules"? Vic told him his name and said I wrote the "damn rule book". what i think Vic did was re write the rule book when he was the ATA president.
    steve

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I always move the speaker stands for the next shooter. It doesn't really bother me if they don't move it for me. I just note that they are being a prick and file it away.

As for calling a broken or chipped bird. I'll do it every time. I'm not letting someone get away with shooting a broken bird and calling it a hit when the rest of us shoot the bird over again.

Rules are rules and I'm sticking with them.

People may not like it, but..........they sure don't mind when I call it a broken bird and they've shot and missed and get to shoot it over again.

It works both ways.

If you don't want me to call them, then don't' squad with me.

Hauxfan!

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have gotten to where if the speaker/mic is somewhere close to where I want it, I will leave it alone.

Between the call of ______ and change, and the reading of the scores from that post we can have the speakers moved to close to the yardage for the next shooter.

All I ask is don't leave the cord where my feet are going to be, and with my normal sized feet the cord anywhere in the box is under foot.

What I am after when shooting is fun harmony and just maybe a good score, and personally 5 people at least acting like they are having fun and doing a few little things to show we are having fun together, just makes it a little more enjoyable.

As for correcting a bad call as in a dead bird that is called lost, or a broken target that is not called at all.

Scoring what a brain mumbing exorcise, after all, sitting in on place, looking at how many thousends of targets. If I had never seen, let alone had, a smoked target called lost. I would say don't question the call. But I have seen and had a smoked target called lost. Will I be anal about how I react to a wrong call? NO! will I ask that a wrong call for someone else is changed? yes

I have when I have been put into service as an umpire opened my mouth to say out and had the word safe come out, say strike and said ball so I know that, that happens.

I have seen where a WHOLE squad will say that a bird that looked completely untouched had a chip come off that they saw, but the score keeper and everyone else watching did not see, so I have to say that that happens also.

SO what I would hope happens is that when the score keepers brain fuzzed out for a call that is wrong admitt it. but when they are sure they are in the RIGHT stand thier ground. Is that to much to ask?

Al Lingham

19. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I feel like shooters that appreciate the sport should always show the upmost respect to their fellow shooters, and that means to always move the speaker/microphone for the person behind you in handicap - I ALWAYS move the speaker/microphone, and I vertually neaver every cause the trap to throw a wasted target. Also, I would never ever close my gun before it is my turn to call for a target! the beav

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The squad can also make the call, if the puller doesen't. I've seen this many, many times, for lost and no target. If you don't like the call from either, call the officals....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.