1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

R.A.D. takes some getting used to...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by arnie2, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnie2

arnie2 TS Member

Once you find an adjustment wrench, try setting it on 4, that's what mine was set at when I had one installed and it seemed fine.

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

sportshot, I had Greg install one at one time. Greg does excellant work, but I am not a fan of the R.A.D. I could never get the pitch right. Even though it was easy on shoulder, it kicked me in face. That was on a Browning BT-99. I shot a Seitz with a R.A.D., same thing. Kicked me in face. I switched to a PFS. Just my 2 cents, which doesn't mean alot!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

3. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Sportshot, Try putting your RAD on 4 and trying it. If I am not mistaken 9 is the lightest setting and 1 is for the heaviest loads. I loved mine on my BT-99 but I haven't put anything on my K-80 yet. Hope this helps.

Jimmy

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

sportshot, please call me.

Matt - Woodson ENterprises
    (270) 804-5454

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where this wrench is required??? The RAD II, don't you just remove the unit and rotate the pressure ring?

please notice the instructions...

The settings on the adjustment range from 0 to 9 with 0
    being the heaviest and 9 the lightest.

<A HREF="http://www.hartshooting.com/images/Recoil_Absorption_Devices_Operation_LOP_BW.pdf" >R.A.D instructions</A>

6. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Just curious - did you contact Greg about it? He was very responsive to help solve some issues I was having. I'm sure he'll work with you to get things right - he seemed like a really good guy to me.

He can also get you springs of different stiffness levels.

LMS

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Grinding? open end wrench? Good Grief. The whole thing easily adjusts with two allen wrenches. It operates with a hydraulic cylinder, not springs or air. There is very little movement, I hardly notice it at all. It doesn't change the pitch. If the stock was ok before it should be ok after installation.

8. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

I have to go along with PBB. Ken installed all my RADS and if I get another it will be his Bumpbuster.

Sportshot, Call Ken and let him talk you through it. He installed more Rads than anyone else and knows all about the pistons. You may have gotten a bad cylinder. I know this has happened before.

Jimmy

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Big Bore, exactly what makes the Bumpbuster "piston" superior? I was thinking they used the same hydraulic unit.

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Jerry, the first Bump-Busters did use the same hydraulic shock absorber as the RAD....but I found a better one about 6 months ago. It is a more sophisticated design and the adjustments are more precise. There are also two models of it with different compensation ranges. With 2 different shocks and 2 return/helper springs available, I have 4 shock/spring combinations to cover an enormous range of recoil situations. The Bump-Buster design is simpler and more robust than the other above mentioned unit and the adjustments are a lot more user friendly....plus it comes in your choice of COLORS!!!!! I have about 400 units in use so far and have a lot of happy shooters!! Some names you may recognize on my role call are Zack Nannini, Matt Hoffman, Ashley Nau, Bobby Fowler and Curt Grates, just to name a few.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

11. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Oh, and one more thing......the Bump-Buster also has the shortest travel of any available compression recoil system on the market. Total travel is .20", with normal movement being approx. .188" when properly adjusted......

Ken

12. stockguy

stockguy Member

Sportshot,

Notify me and I'll help with anything I can.

For now, I'll help with the tension adjustment. '9' is the softest and '0' is the heaviest. The RAD is hydraulic, not pneumatic (air), or spring operated. The small spring only helps in the return. I start shooters off at '4' which is a good place to start and only encourage them to go stiffer from that point. When you set ANY recoil system too soft, there is excess movement and it will bottom out upon firing - giving you the rest of the recoil. Stiffer is better. You want any system to diffuse the recoil energy before bottoming out. I feel the system is best if it only contracts 1/8" to 3/16". That way, you don't have a lot of pogo-sticking feeling, it rebounds quicker, and absorbs an amazing amount of recoil. I am very particular of my own shooting - including doubles - and I have my RAD set on '2' - pretty stiff, but rebounds quickly for the second shot of doubles.

If you haven't used a recoil reduction system before, any of them will take a bit of getting used to even if set up properly. I've had a hydraulic system on my guns for over 20 years and I have no intention of shooting without one.

The latest revison "a" as in RAD#1a or 2a is the best one yet and has a much easiler to use buttplate adjustment system than the earlier models. David Hart, the manufacturer, has steadily improved his systems. He has had a few shooters spread apart the spanner wrench while tightening the buttplate adjustment nut. He has just now started making the spanner wrenches out of a harder alloy material and will replace your bent one immeadiatley with the new tougher one under warranty. Just notify him and he'll get you taken care of.

While recoil reduction systems aren't for everybody, the RAD is the most highly engineered system for the moderatley priced range of systems. There's certainly nothing wrong with the other systems on the market and each one has it's advantages, but none of the other ones has the extensive bushing system for the slider rods that the RAD has. This helps it's smoothness throughout even the most extreme buttplate adjustment configurations.

Don't give up on it. Get it adjusted correctly, shoot it a number of rounds to get used to the new sensations and you may never look back. If you ever want to know how well it's working, just wedge something in the system to keep it from contracting and shoot the gun. You may find out real quickly how comfortable it really is with the system operating correctly.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can be of assistance.

Greg Hissem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.