1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quotes of John Adams

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Rick Barker, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I am trying to run down a quote of John Adams who said he could nowhere find in the Constitution where Congress had the right to collect money and provide welfare to a group of people.

In the meantime, I have picked up some other quotes he has made and thought maybe some might want to read them. When you consider the present state our country, you can appreciate what the Father of our Constitution said some 200 years ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”

“I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace, that two become a lawfirm, and that three or more become a congress.”

“There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.”

“Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.”

“...Cities may be rebuilt, and a People reduced to Poverty, may acquire fresh Property: But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrendered their share in the Legislature, and their Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it.”

“The happiness of society is the end of government.”

"Property must be secured, or liberty cannot exist."

2. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Is this the one you're thinking of?

“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” James Madison

There are also some other great words at the site I've posted above.

Kip

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The Supreme Court said nothing of the kind when it struck down NIRA in the Schechter Poultry Case. It was struck down because of separation of power issues and the Commerce Clause.

But then after taking a somewhat narrow interpretation of the Commerce Clause in the 1935 Schechter case they ruled in Wickard v. Filburn that just about everything came under the Commerce Clause and consequently could be regulated be Congress.

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

walter williams is full of great quotes. but is he presidential?

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

You ever read the speech Davey Crockett gave in congress about public money?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

john adama trap shooter