1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quiet powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wm rike, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wm rike

wm rike Member

An earlier thread discussed 800X powder and a number of people, myself included, commented that it is loud - kind of booming, like it is the grandson of blackpowder.

So, the question is this - is there a powder that has struck you as being quiet. Like after shooting next to someone for a bit, you come to realize that the report from his/her gun is just a bit less than everyone else's. I'm not interested in the powder you are using, it's your old favorite, Pa and Uncle Croy swore by it, the weevils leave it alone, it really smokes the targets from the 27, and no one next to you has ever complained about it, that sort of stuff. Is there a powder out there that's just quieter than the others?

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The Winchester AA low noise/ low recoil shells are on the quite side, some even sound like bloopers. I don't know but they may be loaded with AA Lite powder?

On they other hand shoot next to a factory ported Citori with short barrels and it doesn't what powder they are using....It's loud.

Wayne

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

If you want quiet then you could do what one chair shooter did. "Bat" Thomas had some custom made barrels that were almost five feet long! You could always tell when Bat was on a squad, even without looking. You would hear the squad rhythm Bam-Bam-Bam-ffft-Bam. He had to shoot from the hip in his chair but he was a GOOD shot.

Most every year Trap&Field had a picture of Bat at the Grand in Vandalia. I used to kid him that he needed to put a red light at the end of his barrel so the airplanes landing didn't hit it when he was rolling along the sidewalk.

I don't know what powder he used since he shot Federal factory shells but it was definitely quieter than any one else at Vandy!

4. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Talcum Powder.............now thats quiet.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Winchester Feather Lites were quiet because they were "subsonic". No sonic boom.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Monkey Butt Powder....now that's quiet, no squeaks or shrieks ...

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Speed of sound is roughly 1125 ~ 1150 fps (dependent on conditions), thus MANY shot shells to not cross that barrier...

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

If you want a powder that is very quiet try some reclaim powder, takes one hell of

a hot primer to get wad out of barrel. Ken Uhlbeck

9. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Reclaimed powder. Now that's a new one.... Interesting......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.