1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quiet Eye

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

There is an article on Quiet Eye and trapshooting out there, does anyone have a link to it, or know about it?

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Is this what you are looking for?

“A Quiet Eye” [Golf Digest, January 2004]

March 2006—Trapshooting Olympic Way 306 sidebar

Dr. Joan Vickers, professor and director in kinesiology at the University of Calgary in Alberta, Canada, has been a pioneer in the identification, study and measurement of the Quiet Eye phenomenon in sports performance. The following material is a combination of direct excerpts from Dr. Vickers’ excellent article, “A Quiet Eye” [Golf Digest, January 2004] and additional text inserted by me to illustrate how her findings while studying golfers’ putting techniques can be applied to trapshooting.—Les Greevy

Why is it that shooting consistently high scores is so difficult for so many shooters? Almost anyone can learn to mount the gun and determine the lead in an acceptable manner. The difficulty lies in using your eyes to detect the right information about distance, speed and direction at the right time, then using your mind to relay that information to consistently make the shotstring and target collide.

By recording data under laboratory conditions (using sophisticated eye-movement tracker technology, which allows us to monitor precisely what the eye focuses o¬n and for how long) the mystery of what separates really good competitors from the rest is beginning to be figured out. We call it the Quiet Eye; here’s what it is and how you develop it.

The Quiet Eye occurs when your gaze remains absolutely still at the target pick-up point just before and as the target is called for and the gun move is initiated. There are two important aspects of this basic yet essential skill: location and duration.

Concerning location, the shooter must determine his target pick-up point (look point) with precision. It must be o¬n the line of the target, and the look point must be identified with a very small feature in the background of the scene.
    Quiet Eye duration is also important. The expert shooters have a Quiet Eye duration of 2+ seconds o¬n average, while less skilled shooters hold the gaze for less than o¬ne second.

The same results have been found in a number of other sports, including rifle shooting, darts, billiards and basketball free throws. In all of the self-initiated target sports, the Quiet Eye is emerging as the primary indicator of optimal focus and concentration.

This QE period is essential because your hands are controlled by your brain. The brain gets valuable information from your eyes. As you shoot, your brain needs to organize more than 100 billion neuron networks that are informed by your gaze and then control your hands, arms and body as the shot is performed. These networks will stay organized for o¬nly a short period of time; a window of opportunity opens that must be used when it is at its most optimal. This is the QE period.

The notion of being in The Zone or of “flow” in sport has been around for a long time. Until now, there has been o¬nly unscientific evidence that The Zone exists, let alone has measurable characteristics. Perhaps the Quiet Eye will emerge as o¬ne of the objective measures.

The Quiet Eye is the glue that keeps neurons from being scrambled when under stress. It supplies the right information at the right time. Overall, the Quiet Eye has the essence of simplicity alluded to when the shooter is in The Zone. More research will tell. In the meantime, QE is something you can learn and add to your game today

Regards

W&W

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

It is interesting to observe ATA shooters vs. International Trap shooters. ATA shooters almost without fail take less than 5 seconds to mount the gun and call for the bird (many are much faster, between 3-4 seconds). International shooters almost without fail NEVER take less than 5 seconds - they're all around 7-10 seconds. I've timed a lot of shooters with stopwatch in hand to support this.

Those extra seconds are spent over the gun getting their eyes ready to see the target.

All you squad rythym nazis fire away.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It does take some shooters longer to allow their eyes to remain perfectly still after mounting the gun. Some trap shooters can do it almost instantly so remaining still on very difficult angles probably would take a littler longer.

In basketball, the guard is streaking toward the right corner, at the same time the left forward streaks toward the basket and without looking, the guard makes a perfect pass to him while not looking directly the him! How's he do that?? The guard uses his peripheral vision to see his team mate is how that's done.

The "quiet eye" thing is holding the eyes still using your peripheral vision to SEE the first movement of the clay, nothing more or less. In less than a heartbeat, one can see, read the angle and lock on the whole target very quick, especially trap angles. JMHO

Hap

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have read the above "reader's digest" version of 'Quiet Eye' several times and it still is in direct conflict with the style of shooting that I have learned and seems to work for me. I soft focus in the zone above the traphouse before I even start to mount the gun. If I were to hold my gun for 2 or more full seconds duration before calling for the bird, the result would be a tension stress induced 'Hard Focus' on the streak where the target 'used to be' instead of the reactive 'Soft Focus' that I try to achieve. I live in Calgary and to my knowledge Dr. Joan Vickers has never been to our gun club.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Go to the links page on http://www.gatorskeetandtrap.com and Download the compltete article.

Tom

7. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I learned of this from Terry Jordan. I immediately put it into my pre-shot routine. It worked wonders. When I start to suck, I realize it is due to skipping this all-important step. It really helps to get into the zone, and get that timing down for each and every shot.

Your mileage may vary, it works for me. 6 months from first picking up a shotgun to 98 out of 100. I like it.

Jeff

8. bas

bas Member

I haven't read all of the above posts, but this is an excellent article. T&F has covered this in more than one issue...you may also try contacting them for copy of the issue(s)where it is covered.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Go to the links page....Its there...

Tom

10. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

Try this one

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

This is the link to the T&F article

Tom

12. Les Greevy

Les Greevy TS Member

I wrote the Trap & Field article on Quiet Eye. If you e-mail me I can send you a copy. Les

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

joan vickers quiet eye

quiet eye
quiet eye phenomenon

quiet eye shooting

quiet eye technique & shooting

the quiet eye
trap shooting and the quiet eye
trap shooting quiet eye